three

emaline could barely feel the nerves brimming inside of her; she was too engulfed with  excitement to be reunited with the family she oh-so missed.

she stood at the window of the airport gate and stared into the sky, her dear friend sebastian beside her, and listened for the loud shudder of a plane engine prepping for descent.
and as if the sky had known what she was looking for, the airplane dropped from the clouds and slammed into the runway, coming to a stop at the end.

"come on, seb! they're here!" she seized his wrist and jostled through the wave of airport pedestrians, hurried out to the runway where the jet had spat out her best friends, and tight hugs and smiles ensued.

"EMALINE!" scarlett and elizabeth squealed, leaving their luggage behind and tackling her with bear hugs and kisses on her face.

"i missed you guys so much!" emaline laughed into the embraces, and then she detached herself to hug the rest.

robert, mark, and paul were walking down the stairs of the jet when she shoved her arm in the air and shouted, "hey guys!"

within seconds, paul shot down the stairs and swooped her off the ground and spun her in circles. "i missed ya, kiddo!" he chuckled.

"i missed you too!"

"hey, don't hog her!" mark joked as he hurried over and kissed emaline's forehead. "hey, emmie."

"emaliiiiiine," robert dragged out her name as he made his way towards the rest of the group, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear when he reached her and placing a hand on her face. "you're so grown up, i feel old."

"it's been a year, robert," she laughed softly, but nevertheless leaned up and kissed his cheek.

emaline glanced over at the jet once more, and the only one she hasn't met yet appeared on the ground, tugging his plastic blue luggage along and running a hand through his brown locks. she departed from the group of actors, who had begun to make conversation amongst themselves, and scurried over to the boy.

"hi!" she smiled brightly and stumbled over her own feet, blushing at her clumsiness. it almost always ruins first impressions.

"hi emaline," tom smiled, his eyes starry and kind. his voice was soft and gentle, and emaline couldn't stop the fire burning the apples of her cheeks.

"it's nice to finally meet you."

"you too. i didn't know you'd be so pretty in person," tom tiled his head dreamily, then shot upwards and began to stutter, "i- i mean- you- i- you know, it's- i'm glad i f-finally get to meet you, that's all!" he stammered awkwardly.

emaline just stood there, completely dumbfounded (at what, she didn't know) in front of the cute boy, her cheeks wanting to fall off from having no rest between grins.

if awkward and nervous had a child, it would be the tension circulating through the air between these two.

"come on kids, we gotta blast," robert called, snapping both emaline and tom out of their nervous haze, and they shook awake and walked side by side over to the people emaline adored.

"i know i've said it a million times, but i'm so glad to be back with you guys," emaline giggled, fiddling with the cheap silver ring on her finger as she smiled at the familiar faces of scarlett, elizabeth, paul, robert, mark, sebastian, and (finally) tom.

"so are we, em!" paul draped his arm around her shoulder and shook her around, drawing a tiny giggle from her lips.

he hid it well, but tom couldn't help but stare. no matter how long he'd been around people and no matter how many girls he'd looked at, the truth lies in that he'd never seen someone like her.
if you asked him, he barely knew her- but she was extraordinary. absolutely extraordinary.