nine

scarlett smiled to herself as she saw tom and emaline laughing with each other as they walked towards the trailer. chris, mark, paul, sebastian, elizabeth, and robert stood waiting around for the young ones to show up- the other few couldn't make it to hangout.

"psst, guys, they're here!" she whispered excitedly to the group of friends standing around her outside the trailer. she waved happily at tom and emaline, the others greeting and gesturing for them to hurry up.

"hey guys!" emaline giggled.

"finally, you two are slowpokes!" robert jokes, "c'mon kids, let's go." he rounded up the group, and they headed out for a night on the town.

•••

emaline couldn't hold back the laugh rising in her throat as tom tried desperately to tie the cherry stem into a knot inside his mouth.

"wow, you must suck at kissing."

"i do not!" tom scolded as he spat out the stem proudly, because within the second of her statement he managed to ace the trick.

"hm, maybe not," she smiled, her face blushing brightly. she hoped he didn't notice- the lights inside had a pink hue. maybe she was safe.

meanwhile, all tom could think about was proving to her that he could kiss her better than anyone else ever could.

tom whipped out his phone, wanting to capture the moment he saw unfolding. emaline was running her hand through her ponytail, her dazzling smile just barely poking out from under the lip of her hat, and tom's heart swelled as he watched her perform such a basic act, yet managing to leave him a babbling mess afterwards.

"did you just take a picture of me?" she giggled loudly as he blushed aggressively, caught victim of a not-so-sneaky flash photo.

"i-it's a good picture, you'll thank me later."

her laugh was the only thing he ever wanted to hear for the rest of time.

the older actors all had their own little chats as everyone sat at a long wooden table in the downtown bar they stumbled upon, but every so often scarlett or paul would check on the two kids to see how they were.
paul was defensive of emaline because he's been around since the beginning of her career- he's been so lucky to know her for many years. the others cared about her too, but not as much as paul. never quite having a father figure in her life, paul was that guy for emaline. only him and her know that, though.
tom was a good kid, paul understood that, but it didn't satisfy the constant urge to keep emaline safe.

"hey, paul, they having fun over there?" sebastian whispered as he nudged paul's elbow on the table.

"yeah," he nodded, "i think so."

•••

tom and emaline fell behind as the group strolled slowly down the street, admiring the nightlife and stars sparkling in the sky like cosmic flecks of glitter.

emaline shivered, and it took tom no time at all to shake his jacket off and wrap it around her arms.

"tom, it's cold, keep your jacket!" she whined, trying to slide it off, but tom held it firmly down on her shoulders.

"nope. you stay warm. i'm alright," he smiled.

tom eyes were stuck on her lips, but they were drawn away as he spotted a bench along the sidewalk.

"hey, are you good with photography?"

"yeah, i guess so. i have a cool app with affects and stuff."

"take a picture of me on that bench, will you?" he smiled.

"sure."

tom hurried over and slung his arms over the back of the bench, his black hoodie forcing his pale face to stand out under the yellow tint of the tall street light above him.

emaline felt her stomach flip as she pulled out her camera, taking a few photos on the professional photography app. she'd edit them later.

"do i look good?" he wiggled his eyebrows dramatically.

"very." she chuckled.

tom resumed the walk, sticking by her side immediately. his eyes were drawn right back to her lips immediately, as if the bench had never appeared.

"i didn't think you'd pull that cherry stem trick off," emaline suddenly spoke up, "i mean, not even i can do that. it's not really an indication of a skilled kisser, it's just a really damn hard thing to do. i'm not sure i know anyone besides you who can do that!" she chuckled nervously, her hands slightly shaking at the thought of his body so close to her side as they walked on the grey pavement.

"well, i mean, i guess it just means i'm an extra good kisser then."

"h-how would i know?" she retorted, feeling her anxiety rise. talking about kissing with tom was not where she expected this conversation to go. but no, she just had to bring it up.

"i don't know," he scratched the back of his neck, turning his head towards her beautiful one, "intuition?"

emaline's breath hitched as she noticed how close he was to her; his breath danced on her cheeks, leaving him cold and pinker than before. the two hadn't noticed they'd stopped walking.

tom felt as if a magnet was pulling him ever so slightly closer to her, his lips gravitating towards her own, and he did. he leaned forward slowly, his eyes closing gently as hers did the same. their hearts were beating so loud that they were certain japan could hear their anticipation; both tom and emaline were crawling in their skin, waiting for the other to close the gap.

just as tom was about to finish what he so mindlessly started, mark's voice caused the two to awkwardly jump away from each other.

"tom? emaline? why are you standing there? come on, we've gotta get back," he yelled from down the sidewalk.

"c-coming!" tom yelled after him, emaline following suit as tom scurried towards the group of friends that stood so far away.

neither tom or emaline realized what had just happened, but they couldn't help but feel a little down for the rest of the night.