six

the squishy pink booth seated the the blonde and brunet, the metal-lined table between them holding an order of french fries and two milkshakes- hers vanilla, his chocolate.

emaline smiled like a giddy child with wonder in her ocean blue eyes at the old-fashioned diner styled like it would have been in the 1950's. baby blues and pinks decorated the tiles and interior of the little shop, workers in coordinating outfits and milkshakes on tap. it was a little "grease"-themed wonderland.

"how did you find out about this place, tom?" she asked excitedly, taking a sip of her milkshake and soaking in the sugary sweetness.

"robert showed it to me." tom responded, his heart beating abnormally.

tom didn't really know what to do. he had to film with her every day, and he had to be professional, but it was undeniable he had feelings for her. he couldn't help the thoughts flooding his brain. thoughts like is it okay to like coworkers? and so much drama comes with dating in the famous world.

"what's on your mind, spidey?" emaline's gentle giggle brought him back to reality.

"oh, nothing," he lied to her face.

"tom, i may not have known you long, but i can tell when you're thinking about something. what's going on?"

why did he feel so embarrassed?

"well- i- i have a crush on this girl-"

"oh, who?" emaline lunged forward and interrupted, then retracted herself back into the seat with pink cheeks. to tom, she almost looked... jealous.

"who isn't important. but she's really sweet and pretty and she makes me super nervous, but dating when you're an actor is always a mess, and it's so difficult to avoid the media attacking you, and all i want is to date her but i don't think she even feels the same way." tom blurted out, unable to stop his rambling.

emaline's face was unreadable. that's the thing with actors- they hide their feelings pretty well. tom searched for something, he didn't know what, but he looked for it in her face and her eyes, but she was a stone wall; no emotion to be found.
what he didn't know was that emaline was brimming with anger and disappointment. she didn't want to like tom because relationships aren't necessarily her strong suit, and she often falls for the wrong guys, but she is absolutely and undoubtedly head over heels for that british boy, and she really wishes he didn't like someone else. yet, she carried on.

"well, it's likely she feels the same way, who wouldn't? you're a great guy." she mumbled, trying her best to keep her guard up.

"how do i know?"

"i'm not sure, tom. i'm not good at reading people. but i guess if she acts the way you do around her, she probably feels the same."

tom nodded in agreement, feeling like he wanted to hide in a dark hole forever inside. he can't help but feel humiliated.

"do you like anyone?" he turned the conversation to her as he sucked on his straw.

"yeah, i do. but i'm in the same situation you are."

"i see."

whoever decided to create awkward silence can go screw themselves, they both thought.

and after feeling anxious and inept for what felt like too long (only a few minutes), tom decided he'd have no more of it.

"come on, let's go somewhere else. this diner is getting me down," he piped up, slapping a 20 on the table and standing up, extending his hand to help her out of the booth.

"okay, where should we go?" she asked while she gathered her phone and jacket.

"i've got someplace in mind." he smirked, pulling her out of the old diner, the bell above the doorframe jingling and signaling their departure.