twelve

emaline swiped the plastic tube across her lips, painting them with her old sparkly lip gloss- the same kind she's been using since eighth grade.
she stared at her reflection; flat blonde hair, pale skin, tiny lips and dull eyes.
actors were supposed to be confident in their skin, but emaline would give anything to change herself.
her thoughts were harshly interrupted by a quick rap on her trailer door.

"hello, tom," she waved nervously at the boy as as she stepped out and closed the door behind her.

tom felt as though an angel wearing a black dress and a dark blue jean jacket had appeared in thin air.
contrary to emaline's beliefs, tom had admired every aspect of her. her wavy blonde hair falling naturally, her bright eyes sparkling in the setting sunlight, her fair, glowing skin, and her lips which were too intriguing to ignore; tom found everything about her to be the work of something magical.

"ready to go?" tom smiled, his heart fluttering as she nodded.

"sure,"

•••

emaline stole a fry from tom's plate, earning a look of disapproval as she dipped it in her shake.

"so, how are you?" tom asked.

"fine."

"no, like, how are you? really?"

emaline's face contorted with confusion. the only other people who have asked her that are paul and sebastian- they're the only people who pry in her business.
why would tom care?

"well, i've been a little lonely i guess. a little lost, too. but filming is fun." she answered.

"lonely? you're surrounded by friends all day every day."

"in a relationship-type way." she mumbled, staring at the table in embarrassment as she sucked some vanilla milkshake up her straw.

"well, i'm sure you could get any guy you wanted."

"why?"

"because you're beautiful."

if anyone's cheeks were hotter, emaline would never believe that person.

"thanks, tom."

"listen, if you ever need to talk to someone, i'm here. you should never have to bottle yourself up. people care about you, you know." he reached across the table and grabbed her hand, sending sparks up her arm.

"thank you, tom."

"no problem." he blushed.

"so, how's your luck with that girl?" emaline asked. as much as she didn't want him to date someone else, her chances with him her slim. she had given up. she would never compare.

"well, i think she likes me back, but i can't truly tell. but it's driving me crazy, to be truthful," he explained, "i just want to make her happy."

"that's sweet. do i know her?"

"yeah, you do."

"who is she?" emaline quizzed, her heart breaking slowly as he answered her questions.

"i can't tell you yet," he let go of her hand, "i don't think i should."

"i- uh, okay. that's fine." she shut herself up. even bringing it up was stupid, she believed.

"well, the food's gone. should we pay and get out of here?" tom clapped his hands together, clearing the negative air.

"y-yeah, okay," emaline agreed.

she smiled as he laid down some money and followed him out and down the sidewalk; she faked some happiness, but all she wanted to do was sit alone and wonder why she'd ever let herself fall for him anyway.

as she let herself drift off into hopeless thoughts, tom gasped.

"i guess they never took it down!" he smiled, and emaline's eyes caught sight of the huge spider-man: homecoming mural on the side of the building they were next to.

"want me to take your picture?"

"yes please!" tom squealed, and emaline laughed.

as she took his picture in front of himself, she wondered who the mystery girl was.
whoever it is, she's the luckiest girl alive.