Requiem (MoranxReaderxMoriarty)

Prompt: 32 ("I'm not blind... I can see the way you look at them.")
Characters: Moran and Moriarty
Requested by: @Imightbeaddicted
A/N: Thought I'd try to change things up a bit, so tell me if you like it; if not, I'll be posting the original version of this story! ..I'll probably post it anyways, just in case...

First, all he heard was giggling. Then came the hurried steps, pounding against his floors like rain on the pavement. He smiled faintly as he turned, swinging the first little girl up into the air before throwing her over his shoulder. Suddenly aware of the so-called danger, her sister attempted to scamper away, only to be caught by her waist and lifted into the air.
"You two are supposed to be sleeping." Jim grinned as the girls' giggled flooded the sitting room.
"We can't sleep, now!" Adalia whined, kicking her legs and attempting futilely to pry the man's arm from around her waist.
"And why's that?"
"Daddy always tells us a story before bed! We can't sleep without a story, Papa!" Siobhan reasoned from over his shoulder. He hummed faintly, heading upstairs with the girls still in his grip.
"We can't have that now, can we?" He plopped each girl in her respective bed, smiling fondly as they scattered to get under the covers. Tapping his lips with his finger in thought, he sat in Sebastian's seat, trying to come up with a proper story. Hansel and Gretel was always a good bet—perhaps Cinderella? The original Grimm's tale, though. After all, the girls needed to grow up aware of the world around them.
"Can you tell us a story about Mummy?" Adalia asked, blue eyes shining shyly as he stared at her. Her little sister piped up, pleading with him to say yes.
"...does your Daddy tell you stories about her before bed?" He knew the answer, he was still too broken up about what happened to her. Too upset about her death to tell a story about her.
"Um...yes?" Adalia lied as if Jim wouldn't notice.
"No, but that's why you're cooler." Siobhan beamed at him as he chuckled, considering what he should do.
"Once upon a time," the little girls leaned in excitedly, "there was a King." And back to laying down, disappointed. Still, they listened intently, pouting lips only showing their disappointment in the story's content, neither daring to interrupt.
"And one day he went to his garden, where he always watched the blackbirds dance. But, one day, he was stopped by a particular blackbird's dance. So awe-stricken was he, that he ended up watching her dance until sundown,"

He observed the room, not many catching his eye. Perhaps the h/c at the bar, eyes dazzling as she looked into her glass. No doubt the most beautiful woman in the room, plus there was something odd about her situation. She wasn't smiling or dancing like everyone else, she was on her own. Easy prey.
He sauntered up confidently, taking a seat beside you, letting his eyes flick around to the source of your evident discomfort, "Seems like you could use a bit of company, mind if I offer mine?" Your eyes flicked up to meet his, not seeming shocked by the offer. He wasn't the first man to come onto you that night, but he certainly was the most handsome.
"And why would it seem that?" You baited, arching a brow with a playful smirk.
"Your ex is here, probably followed you, but he's with someone else, isn't he?" You only blinked, not seeming impressed, nor surprised.
"Am I off the mark?" He questioned, head tilting in confusion. No, the man kept looking over here, evidently angry that Jim was speaking to you, despite the girl on his arm. A brother, maybe? But that wouldn't explain your fear—no. It had to be right.
"No, you're correct, but what's it matter?" You giggled as he second guessed himself. He felt a sudden pang, stopping cold for a moment as he realized what happened.
"I see. It matters because you're the most beautiful woman in the room and yet he's playing such a weak card, so why not play it right back?"
"Ah, I see, flirt with someone less attractive, should I?" You teased as his jaw fell in surprise, but soon he was laughing with you.
"If it gets you to dance with me, Certainly." Weren't you unique?

"After the first time he saw her, he came back to her spot day after day, hoping to see her dance. Then, one day after she'd been gone for weeks, he asked her to come live in the castle, so he could see her dance as often as he pleased. To his delight, she agreed."