Job Hunting

After school Mackensie said her goodbyes to Alyssa and got on her bike with the intent to ride into town. It was the weekend and she was set on finding a job so she could save up money for a prom dress. She texted her mother, reminding her that she probably won't be home until later on in the afternoon.

As she started to journey, leaving the school area, she was accompanied by rows of trees and bushes on either side of her.

At first she had started out pedalling at a quick pace, wanting to get to town as quickly as possible, but after a while she slowed down and took her time to observe the scenery.

Today wasn't extremely hot like the other days. Though still warm, there was a breeze that came by every once in a while that made the trip enjoyable.

After a little bit, the brick buildings started to appear, signalling to Mackensie that she was nearing the historic downtown of King George.

Cars and pedestrians were starting to become more frequent, but her pace remained the same; though she was contemplating slowing down even more because she didn't want to hit anyone.

The streets were becoming busier and Mackensie was becoming more paranoid about hitting a car, she constantly looked over her shoulder and around her to make sure she was in the clear, and came to a complete stop.

She wasn't able to handle the stress. She never really rode her bike downtown before, she came once but it was during the weekday and not nearly as busy as it was now--probably because it was the weekend.

Mackensie pedelled more down the road until she came to a corner, which was partnered with a decorative streetlamp (as was every other corner of the streets of King George, adding on more to the historic appeal of the area). She got off her bike and pushed it onto the sidewalk, deciding to walk the rest of the way.

After all, walking at this point was probably a good idea since she did not have a specific store in mind where she wanted to work, and it was nice to slowly see all of her options.

She tried her best to dodge the various people who were walking in the opposite direction as her, but the benches, trash bins, and trees were not exactly helping her situation on the narrow sidewalk.

Mackensie started to regret coming down here herself and just wished that her mother had dropped her off instead so she wouldn't have to worry about her bike, but there was no use in thinking like that now.

Her plan was to scout both sides of the street and go home with at least five applications. Looking ahead, she found her first stop: a local clothing store. She slowed down and she got off carefully, making sure not to bump into anyone who was walking.

Lucky for her, most of the streets had some sort of place to lock her bike though she wasn't that worried about theft in her town.

She made sure her bike was secure before turning to the store to look into its windows. It seemed like a cozy little place, most of the outfits were for females and seemed to be quite conservative.

Mackensie looked down the street, seeing a variety of other shops that were next to each other. She decided to just keep her bike locked at its current spot so she didn't have to constantly move it with every store she went into, and planned to come back for it once she was done for the day.

She readjusted her backpack on her shoulder and walked into the store.

The cool air conditioning greeted her along with the sound of a bell and she gave an internal smile, liking the temperature. It was a small and quiet place, empty with the exception of an older lady who was walking around the store inspecting the various table and shelves of clothes.