Job Training

Brown skirt, a cream coloured blouse, and a ribbon.

That was the official uniform for female employees of Moose Café, handed to Mackensie the moment she walked in.

“Go change into that,” Henry said, turning to point down the hall. “The employee locker room is next to the manager’s office, you can dump your stuff over there. Though I just put mine next to the counter.”

Mackensie walked around the counter to see Henry’s backpack sitting in the far corner and out of the way. There was a pair of soccer cleats next to them as well.

“You’re on the soccer team?” she asked.

Henry smirked, “Varsity team captain.”

“Well, doesn’t that make you special…” Mackensie remarked, feeling the same arrogant attitude coming off of him like she did yesterday.

“Of course,” he said. “What about you? What do you do at Melbourne? You’re obviously not a cheerleader.”

Mackensie looked up at the now declared jock that stood in front of her, her eyebrows raised. “Excuse me?” I can’t tell if that’s an insult or not…

Henry let out a little laugh, noticing that she tensed up for some reason, “I don’t mean it in a bad way. I said that because I haven’t seen you on the team when they come to cheer at the games.”

“Oh. Well, no, I’m not doing anything special at my school. It’s senior year, I’m more focused on acing my AP exams and getting into the college I want.”

“So you’re a nerd.”

“I beg your freaking pardon?” Mackensie retorted, not liking the response she got from him. “Figures you’re a jock,” she muttered before rolling her eyes and turning around.

She sauntered down the hall and walked around the corner, looking for the locker room.

The hallway was pretty straight forward though it seemed a little cramped at the same time. There were multiple doorways, all of which were labelled.

Manager, Storage, Kitchen, Exit, Restroom, Locker Room.

Ah, there it is, Mackensie said to herself. She walked towards the door and entered the room, wondering if David was in his office as she passed.

The so called locker room was small and pretty dim, the yellow light and lack of windows added onto its dismal environment. There was a shelf attached to one side of the wall, a little mirror on the other, and a couple of chairs next to a small top table.

Mackensie locked the door and walked over to the table, putting her backpack and uniform down on it before she turned to the mirror to start changing.

She liked the uniform, though it didn’t exactly go with her black school shoes.

She made a mental note to go buy either brown or cream coloured flats, or borrow Tanya’s until she had the time to go get her own. She still wasn’t sure what her schedule was.

Knock, knock, knock…

A small series of knocks rang from the door and Mackensie turned around, “Yes? Who is it?”

“It’s me,” Henry’s somewhat muffled voice came from the other side.

Mackensie quickly gathered her belongings and stuffed it onto one of the shelves before going to open the door and stepping out.

“Was I taking too long? I’m sorry,” she quickly apologised though she was positive that she took no more than five minutes.

“I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. But it seems like you’re done now, right?”