Henrich Osterfeld

It never happened.

The dream, that is.

Mackensie’s nap (which was longer than she wanted it to be) was interrupted by her mother who called her and her father down for dinner. Even after she officially went to bed for the night she didn’t have any dreams.

She was slightly disappointed, but then again not, because the vividness and frequency was a little unsettling at the same time.

It was around ten in the morning when Mackensie decided to ride her bike back into town, having filled out the rest of the applications a few hours prior while eating breakfast. She was going to turn them all in today and get it out of the way.

She parked her bike at the beginning of the street. The heat was just the same as yesterday’s, but this time she was dressed in something more comfortable than her school uniform.

Wearing a short sleeved v-neck and shorts and armed with a little bag that had a water bottle along with her wallet, Mackensie walked into the first store before going up the street to the rest of the shops.

She took her time, walking slowly amongst the scattered crowd. Every store gave her a blast of air conditioning which she considered mini breaks and motivation to move forward.

Her phone started to vibrate in her pocket as she was coming out of her eleventh shop.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Mack,” Tanya’s voice echoed from the other side. “What’s up?”

Mackensie looked over her shoulder as she walked onto the sidewalk, careful not to bump into anyone or get into someone’s way. Her balance and focus was always off when she was walking and talking on a phone.

“Oh, nothing, just turning in all these job applications,” she answered, heading towards her next stop.

“Cool,” Tanya replied.

Small talk ensued after that and the two talked about various things ranging from prom, dresses, food, and college plans.

At this point, Tanya had already been accepted into the college she wanted to go to, versus Mackensie, whom was still in the process of sending in paperwork and taking more tests.

Mackensie would tell Tanya to hang on every time she turned in an application, then resumed talking once she was outside and walking again. She was glad that her friend called, it made her walk more entertaining.

“How’d the doctor appointment go?”

“Oh, it was just a regular check up. It was awkward as usual,” Tanya laughed. “What did I miss at school?”

“We’re having a test in Pre-Cal on Monday and we have more flashcards to do for APES.”

“Ugh, of course, all this on the one day I’m absent…”

Mackensie laughed sympathetically. “I can help you with the cards, but not with Pre-Cal. You know I suck at that subject.”

Whatever Tanya said next wasn’t comprehended. The Moose Café came into view and took away her attention.

As Mackensie started to speed up, she became excited. If what that barista said was true she might get her interview right now.

“Hey, I’ll call you back, okay?” Mackensie said, hanging up when she heard the goodbye. She ran up to the café, though stopping herself and coming to a graceful stride when she reached the front.

She opened the door and stepped in, and there was the brunette barista, standing behind the counter.

“Welcome to the Moose Ca—oh hey!” his face lit up when he finally recognised her. “You’re back!”