Is That a Feather?

1 year and 1 month later
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

     Tony was worried. Really worried.

     Those marks on Alex's back that started showing up around her birthday? There are more of them, now all over her back.

     Alex, however, barely even noticed them. She claimed that they didn't cause her any pain and she didn't know where they came from.

     Pepper and Rhodey had only recently noticed them, and they were furious at Tony.

     "How could you not tell us?" Pepper asked.

     The two of them came over one night while Alex was asleep. They felt it was best to yell at him without his daughter watching.

     Tony shrugged. He was at a loss for words on the subject. "Pepper, I don't know. I literally don't know anything. Cherish these words. Because I swear I've never said them before."

     "As far as we know this doesn't mean anything right? She's not affected in any way?" Rhodey asked, rubbing at his temples.

     Tony nodded. "Right. But they came outa nowhere. All of a sudden her back is all scarred up."

     "I wonder, maybe it's like some weird transitional step in her mutation? It could mean something," Pepper said. She was thinking of all the possibilities.

     Tony shook his head and took a swig of his drink. "Then that leaves too many chances. And I don't particularly wanna take any of them."

     The sound of small feet hitting hardwood floors grew nearer to them. "Dad?" Alex was clutching her bear close to her and her voice was a soft whisper.

     The small girl startled all of the adults sitting at the table. Tony rushed to push his drink out of her view. Alex already knew about his drinking habits, and, ahem, the nights he spent with different women all the time. But he still felt the need to shelter her for a little while longer. After all, she is still only six years old.

     He smiled warmly. "Hey Kid, you feeling okay?" Tony got out of his chair and knelt down next to her.

     Alex mumbled something incoherent. She knew something was up from the moment she woke up. What worried her most was how her dad would react. It was worse now that she knew Pepper and Rhodey were here.

     Tony pursed his lips. "What's wrong? Bad dream?" he asked, placing one hand on her shoulder.

     Rhodey and Pepper were both looking at her with worry filled eyes.

     "My back hurts. Really bad," Alex said. She was feeling shooting pains all night, eventually she couldn't take it anymore.

     Pepper gasped. Rhodey stood up and took a few steps towards her.

     Tony did his best to remain calm. "Ok, well, it's gonna be okay. Let's figure it out. Tell me exactly what's going on." He smiled again, to reassure her.

     "I woke up, and- and it hurts all over. Like little needles!" Alex started breathing hard.

     "Ok. That's a start, but don't freak out on me." He picked her up and then set her back down on the table. "I'm gonna check out your back, ok? Let's see what's going on." He lifted up the back of her shirt.

     Rhodey couldn't understand how Tony kept a calm front. Alex's back was littered with dark purple scars. It put him on edge just to look at her. His attention was drawn by Tony's gasp. "What's wrong?"