8.

"Chresanto...just hear me out." Holmes spoke.

He fell silent for a moment and then squinted his eyes at the woman that stood in front of him. Why was she here?

What made her come...to him? Of all people?

He remained silent, awaiting her speech. When was she going to tell him what she wanted....why she was here?

"I need help." She admitted, shoving her hands into her pockets after she dropped a Manila folder onto his desk. "I need your help."

He tilted his head and chuckled softly, looking down at the file she had placed in front of him. "And this?" He asked her. "What is it?"

She blew out a frustrated breath of air and stared at the man seated in front of her. "A serial killer...The Leo."

His eyebrows rose and he opened the file. "The Leo?" He asked, his eyes scanning the page.

She nodded in response, and upon realizing that he couldn't see it with his gaze lowered, she verbally responded. "Yes."

"That's a stupid name. Who came up with that?" He asked with a slight laugh.

"Uhh...well, he did." She replied.

"You let the murderer name himself?" He glanced up at her and let his eyes fall back to the first page of the file as he shook his head. "Okay...so what do you need me for?"

Officer Holmes shifted her stance, resting her weight on one leg and putting her hands on her hips. "We can't figure him out. We can't stop him. We never know where he's going to be next. He's killed seven so far."

August cast another glance at the woman standing before him.

"And?" He asked, only one eyebrow raising as the word left his mouth.

"AND..." Holmes continued the statement, growing a little frustrated with the man's unwillingness to cooperate. "Help us."

The man laughed. "Help you?" He asked, his thumb and index finger flipping to the next page of the file. "How exactly?"

"I don't know August. You used to be on the force. Why are you acting like you've never helped before?" She groaned out.

He flipped to the next page. "Okay...so let's say I help you...what's in it for me?"

She shrugged. "Anything you want." She told him. It was a lie. "Captain says so. He'll write you a voucher. You're entitled to anything you want. Like a...get out of jail free card in Monopoly or some shit. Just...help us please."

He flipped to the next page and examined the page in silence for a few minutes.

Officer Holmes shifted in her spot, waiting for his next words. She expected him to jump at the opportunity to get back on the force after what had happened, but instead, he just quietly flipped to another page of the file and examined it in silence as well.

"So?" She called out to him.

He raised his gaze and stroked his slight beard as he stared at her.

"Did you ever think...maybe I can't solve everything?" He asked her.

He shut the file, pushing it toward her. "Especially since I no longer have a badge...courtesy of Captain Asshole."

"Captain says you can have your badge back if you want it. He just wants you to at least come out and have a look at the scene. He wants you to try." She continued to lie.