Outtake: Myles Fyread

Ever since Bart had killed that guard things had been shaken up around here, and they needed to fill the space with someone who wouldn't mind/wouldn't get to know the likeliness of them being killed. The other guy who had committed suicide was dismissed and so technically they were two people short.

That and the fact that he got a call from his sister was why Priest brought in Myles Fyread.

The call had been desperate, a plea for help from two parents who didn't know what they were doing and were extremely strict on rules about what was right and wrong.

Priest was even stricter.

"Hello, sister."

"Brother, thanks for picking up the phone, for once." Priest could hear the distasteful tone in her voice, the way she spoke to him was surely not the way she stood to her two sons and husband.

"Is this concerning Luca?" Priest shuddered at the names that his sister had given the two boys but she assured him that her assertive husband had been the one to decide, not her.

Both of the boys were rebellious and created problems for the religious couple, but Luca was older and was normally what Priest's sister ranted to him about.

"No, Myles." Myles was the other child, the younger and slightly odder child. While Luca was relatively reserved, hiding in the background listening to music half the time and observing his surroundings, Myles was a little more out there.

"What did he do?"

"He needs straightening out."

"Sister, what are you saying."

"I'm asking if he can come and stay with you for a little bit."

"Stay with...me? Sister, I have a job, a full-time occupation with the CIA, I don't have a permanent residence, mainly I stay here."

"I meant at the CIA Project thing. Couldn't you...have a vacancy or something?"

"We do currently have two, courtesy of...never mind. How's about this, I'll discuss it with the Colonel in charge and call you back soon with the overall decision." Priest hung up after checking it was okay and placing his head in his hands. He didn't want to have his nephew here - why he roped himself into this?

~~~

As he had said, he did speak to Riggins about it and Riggins had confirmed that the boy could come to help and be given free rein of the place so Priest didn't have to babysit. Myles was on his way travelling now and Priest was panicking. What had he been thinking? He didn't think Riggins would accept the proposal for his nephew to come around - his nephew was the weirdest kid Priest had ever met.

But Myles turned up not long afterwards and seemed to not be very interested in Priest, who tried also to put on a disinterested face rather than an anxious one. What would the teenager do while he was here?

Riggins had told him to assign Myles the room of the guy that Project Marzanna had killed and Priest awkwardly showed him to his room, handed him a thick folder of all of the information of the Projects and told him not to go wandering off. Hopefully the folder would keep the boy at bay for a couple of days.

Of course that wasn't the case.

The very next day, with very tired eyes, Myles was up and about, finding Priest and asking him what he could do. Frustrated and in the middle of some very important business that was due for the end of the day, he instructed Myles to go and talk to some of the Projects that he wanted to talk to.

"Just don't get killed," was the main instruction - Priest really didn't want to get in trouble with the social services or Myles' mother. Not that his sister seemed to care very much about either of the two boys. He didn't blame her - kids were too exhausting. He had never expected his sister to have kids - their childhood hadn't been great and Priest wondered what had possessed her when she decided to have two.

The kid hadn't bothered him after that, seemingly entertained by the notion of talking to people his own age. Priest wouldn't be surprised if Myles related to them - hell, he wouldn't be surprised if Myles had a power like the Projects. But no, Myles was completely and utterly ordinary. And maybe that was better.