Chapter 1: Lost relatives and loose ends

I sometimes wonder why we even have relatives. From all the horror stories I had heard, extra relatives were toxic and dramatic, which tore families apart. I was one of the lucky ones who had no relatives. Well, besides divorced parents and a little brother who lives with my father.

Well, I THOUGHT I had no relatives until my mother found an old scrapbook. She showed me a picture of a nice-looking old lady and she told me that this woman was my grandmother. She also informed me that she was still alive. I asked her why she had never told me about her. This was her response: "Because she's unstable."

"How is she unstable?" I asked.

"Do you know what a lobotomy is, sweetheart?" she asked me.

I nodded my head, feeling uneasy.

"Well," she continued. "Your grandmother had suicidal stress and a deep depression. She was also extremely insane, and it was for all those reasons that she got a lobotomy. Afterwards, she just walked around her house like a zombie. When I was 18, I moved in to my college dorm, and it was at that college that I met your father. We got married after graduation and we moved here. About nine months later, you came into the world. Four years later, your brother came into the world. I never even told him or your father about my mother."

"How is walking around like a zombie unstable?" I asked.

"Well," she hesitated. "I'll tell you when you're a little older."

"Mother, I'm sixteen," I said a little louder than I intended. I apologized, and she said, "It's alright, sweetie".

"Hey, mother," I said.

"Yes, sweetheart?" she asked.

"Would it be ok if we visited her one day?" I asked.

She didn't say anything for a moment, but she finally took a breath and said, "One day, that's it. We'll go to her house when summer break starts, which should be in two days. We'll grab what we need, go to her house, you'll meet her, and then we leave."

I remembered that I had a date on that day, so I asked, "Is it okay if I bring a friend? We were supposed to have a date after summer break and I think this would be a good opportunity to introduce him to you and maybe grandmother." She thought for a minute or two, then said, "Sure. Just promise me one thing."

"What would that be?" I asked as politely as I could.

"That you'll both stay close to me and that neither of you go ANYWHERE alone with her EVER," she responded.

"Don't worry, mother," I said. "I won't disappoint you ."

"Thanks, sweetheart," she replied as she gave me a hug. "Now go to bed. It's a school night."