Chapter 12: The melon and a slender ghost

I woke up, and the very first thing I did was grab the vase. I then opened the door and made sure that Grandmother wasn't anywhere to be seen. She wasn't, so I opened Garter's bedroom's door and he was already grabbing the melon.

We snuck downstairs and opened the window in the kitchen. We climbed out and just saw a lot of sad: there was a guillotine, a playhouse, a water well, a tripwire bell, a small tool shed (judging by the looks of it), and even some wood planks.

Garter put the melon on the guillotine and cut the melon in half. What fell out of it was a key, and so I snagged the key and we climbed back in the house.

We hid behind the table when we heard a light, rhythmic thumping. I suddenly remembered the bear I had in my shirt. I grabbed it out and listened. Sure enough, the pumping was seemingly coming from the bear. It seemed to be getting louder, and as it was we heard Grandmother approaching. We stayed low as Grandmother approached the window.

The window! It was still open! (We would've escaped via the backyard, but the fence was too high, for those of you who said "Why don't you just escape via the backyard?!").

While she was distracted, we crawled our way out of the kitchen and through the stair room. (It was not really a room, but it had the stairs in it, but I didn't remember the name of a room with stairs and not much else in it). She appeared to be following us, but we just pretended that she wasn't even there. As we crawled to the stair room, we saw an open door. We decided to circle around and go back up to the door upstairs that we didn't check, and we saw that it was an attic. We found some boards covering up a room. I remembered that I had a hammer in my pocket and I used it to break the boards.

When I got the boards broken off, we entered the room and ended up in some kind of small baby nursery. I saw a crib and thought, Has she really let herself get this bad?!

I decided to place the bear in the crib, as a gift or something to a baby who's probably not here. (It also occurred to me that this was probably mother's old crib.) Right when I placed the bear in there, I saw a tall, very pale woman who was also very slender. She didn't appear to be of any harm, so we went back downstairs and went into that one door in the stair room. It was some kind of basement, but there was bars up against a beam and a piano by the stairs. There was a bloodstain on the floor and lying in it was none other than the guest. He wasn't dead though; he was just unconscious. I also saw our stuff in some vent shaft, but it appeared to be connected to another room.

We turned around to leave when we saw Grandmother coming down the stairs. We quickly hid in the vent thingy and watched. She looked around before looking dead at us. I accidentally made a slight sound and she came our way. She investigated and then walked towards the guest.

Night blindness, I thought. She might have the hearing of a deer, but in the dark, she's blind as a bat. She walked towards the guest and rested at his feet. He got up, obviously feeling dazed and looked at his feet. He screamed just before she leapt towards him and bit his jugular out. I choked back vomit and kept watching. She ate his face some before taking his bloody corpse upstairs.

When we heard nothing, we crept out and grabbed our stuff. Before we left and climbed upstairs, I saw the tall, pale, and slender woman again, and she was right behind us. She was standing at the doorway that was connected to the basement. Garter and I walked back into the basement and, after looking around a bit, found a key. I grabbed it and went to see where that vent thingy lead. After going up about two flights of stairs, I ended up back in that one room with the boxes, where I found what looked like a breaker box. I then proceeded to use the key on it. Turns out, it wasn't a breaker box. It was actually a cabinet, AND it contained the crossbow and three tranquilizer darts. Just as I was about to grab it, I heard a snap. Then, there was a scream.

I ran back to the basement and saw that Garter had found a bear trap the hard way. I tried to get it off, but the rust made it really hard to remove. I finally managed to get the thing off his leg, but the results were horrible. His leg looked like it was gonna fall off if any more damage was inflicted upon it. There was rust in the wound, which meant he needed medical help as soon as possible.

I tried to drag him back in the vent shaft, but I stopped when I heard a voice that I knew all too well say, "I see you..." I turned around and saw Grandmother, blood on her lips, blunt instrument in hand, insane look in her eye, looking right at me and him.