Chapter 5: A flat tire and a crossbow bolt

"So, what did you think of her?" my mother asked as she drove through the forest.

"She seemed very mute and very weird," I answered, trying not sound rude.

"She hasn't spoke much since her lobotomy. The only good thing about her lobotomy was that she was a lot less active and a lot less suicidal."

"Did she always have meat in her freezer?" Garter asked.

"Well, no," my mother answered. "But she also never had a pet vulture."

This gave me an idea to grab out my sketchbook and pencil and get to drawing. I was drawing my grandmother in a feathery dress with vultures everywhere.

Garter looked at it and suggested that I made it into a painting. I ignored him and said to my mother, "Are you aware that your ground rules were broken...the first one being broken about two times, the second one being broken about three times, and the last one being broken once?"

"Sweetie," my mother started, "those don't count. I meant like being alone with her without me knowing about it or being close, and being shown the restroom is an exception. I also meant like talking to her unnecessarily. And being there longer than expected was no one's fault. But speaking of which, what took you so long, Garter?"

"There was a locked door in there, and I was looking for a key," he lied, and I knew he was lying; there wasn't a door in the bathroom besides the one that he entered through. I was tempted to tell her the truth, but I decided to keep my mouth shut.

Halfway down the gravel path, I heard a sort of pop, then the car went out of control. After my mother pulled over, we all got out of the car to see what happened. One of the back tires had been flattened.

Garter got closer and pulled something out of the tire. He showed it to us and it turned out to be a reflective, yellow bolt (ammo for a crossbow).

I immediately suspected my grandmother, but then I realized how far we were from her cabin. The gravel path leading to the highway was about fifty miles. So then, I wondered how in the world could my grandmother shoot a tire from twenty-five miles away with a crossbow (or with anything, for that matter).

Garter suggested that maybe it was already there and that we were unlucky enough to run over it.

My mother absolutely lost it. "I would've seen it because, well, just look at it! Who WOULDN'T see it?!" She took a breath. "Anyway, I'm gonna walk a little ways and see if there's any more crossbow bolts in the road, assuming that you're somehow right. You guys are to stay in the car, since it's obviously not safe out here. Now I won't go far. I'll still be in your sightline. But, do not, under any circumstances, leave the car."

We got in the car and she went up the gravel path. I pulled out my knife in case anything happened. As I watched her, I saw something get shot in her neck. She pulled it out and fell on her stomach.

I went for the door, but Garter stopped me and said, "Remember what she said! Do NOT, under any circumstances, leave the car!"

Right when he said that, the back window had broke and I felt something sharp hit my neck. I pulled it out, expecting it to be a piece of glass, but instead pulled out a tranquilizer dart. I saw that Garter had one in his neck, too. My vision started to get weary, I felt faint, and I felt weak.

Before I passed out, I heard a whisper saying, "Sleep tight, dearie..."