Chapter 4 - Unwelcome Stranger

Hi guys - thanks so much for everyone who has been reading so far! Sorry I can't update super often, I am incredibly busy at the moment with different creative projects so I can't put tons of time into this, but I have been really enjoying exploring a new genre and I do plan to finish it, one chapter at a time. I hope you'll stick with it!

I just wanted to share this beautiful music video and song I discovered last week by one of my all-time favourite songwriters Ina Wroldsen. It really gave me vibes for this story and Kye, who you are about to meet a little better in this next chapter...!

Hope you enjoy it!
Becky xx

---

Chapter 4

Unwelcome Stranger

I decided the only thing I could do was swim back to shore, carrying Kye with me. He was barely conscious by now and I couldn't risk calling for help and waiting ages for a boat to come. He needed warmth and shelter as soon as possible.

And I needed answers. Where had this boy come from? Why did he seem to know me? And why in God's name did he have my address written down? Nothing was adding up at all.

Even so, I trusted him instantly. Whatever was going on here, I knew it was nothing to fear. It was a riddle I desperately needed to solve, one I sensed might explain so much of what I'd always been looking for.

So I took off my T-shirt, wrapping it around him for modesty, then took hold of his arms and swam backwards, carrying him along on my stomach. It wasn't the easiest position to swim in, but it was the best way to keep his head above water and keep us both moving.

"You OK?" I asked every so often during the journey. "Stay with me, Kye."

His head was lolling on his shoulders but he just about managed to nod in reply, giving a tiny grunt of acknowledgment. I kicked my legs as hard as possible, hoping we'd make it home before he passed out completely.

Once we got to shore, I put an arm around Kye to hold him up. "Can you stand?" I asked him. "My house is about a ten-minute walk from here."

Once again, he nodded but didn't say anything more.

"Can you tell me why you want to get to my house?" I tried. "Who sent you here?"

It was useless. Kye was far too weak to answer any questions. But I felt his bare arm cling even tighter around me. Holding on for dear life.

"Hey, it's OK, we'll get you there," I said, soothingly. "Just hang on a tiny bit longer."

Slowly, I led him along the beach, heading up toward the shops and houses that ran parallel to the sand. My mother's cottage wasn't far from here, we only needed to take a few winding streets into the village and we'd be there. I took one careful step at a time, holding Kye up with all my strength the entire way. His own steps were shaky, like a baby deer learning to walk for the first time.

Night had finally fallen and the temperature had abruptly dropped meaning most tourists of the day, including Freddie and his friends, had dispersed. I was glad they'd given up the surfing party by now because I didn't want to have to face him on top of this strange situation. Keiko had obviously gone home too. There were a few groups of teenagers I didn't know still hanging around the beach, but they chose to ignore us as we limped past them.