Chapter 15 - Truth Or Dare

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for your patience with this chapter - I hope you'll still keep reading even though I can't update super regularly at the moment. I am actually working on my first novel to pitch to book agents and a lot of songwriting briefs with short deadlines at the moment so Lennon and Kye have had to be put on the backburner a little. I am going to finish though, even if it takes me ages!

There is a lot going on in this chapter and I think it needs tidying up in my second draft, but I hope you'll enjoy it anyway :) Let me know what you think! And thanks so much for still reading <3

Chapter 15

Truth Or Dare

"So you're the mysterious Kye who's been keeping Keiko's friend so busy," Maryssa said, breaking the abrupt silence. Her voice was soft and silky, almost like a purr. "Nice to meet you, I'm Maryssa."

She stood up, reaching out for Kye's hand. He took it hesitantly as their eyes continued to crash together.

This wasn't the first time they'd touched. I knew that. I knew from the second they clocked one another but I didn't want to believe it so I pushed the sudden writhing anger and jealousy deep, deep down, forcing a bright smile on my face.

"Kye, this is Keiko," I interrupted, spinning him around, away from the red-headed, pink-bikinied harpy and toward my best friend. "You have to chat properly, I know you're going to get on great."

"Um, yeah, hi," Kye replied, in a daze. "I'm so happy to finally meet you, Keiko."

She was cross-legged on the sand, sandwiched between Adam and some other surfer guys from this new crowd she was hanging out with now. She smiled tightly up at Kye, but didn't offer any kind of handshake. "Wow, how nice to finally be graced with your presence. I seriously thought you guys had stood me up. I guess you had better things to do, right?"

My heart was hammering so hard I was struggling to breathe. There was too much to take in. Firstly, had Keiko guessed something was going on between me and Kye or was I being paranoid? Secondly, why the hell was she still talking to us like this? It just wasn't her. Even when she was mad at me, she was never mean. Not ever.

And then there was Maryssa, still looming salaciously over Kye's shoulder. I couldn't look at her. I couldn't think about her. I couldn't bear to even acknowledge what was staring me right in the face.

Kye crouched down so he was eye-level with Keiko. "I'm so sorry that we're late. It was all my fault. I promise to make it up to you. I really have wanted to meet up, Lennon has told me so much about you."

For a moment, I saw a flash of the real, genuine Keiko that I knew and loved so much. Her tight smile softened and her defensive stance finally relaxed.

And then Maryssa swooped in, pulling Kye into the edge of the circle. Touching him, again.

"Come on, sit down," she ordered, jostling him to where she'd been sitting with Freddie and forcing him onto the sand. "We've just been getting to know each other better, so have a beer and join us."