Chapter 22 - Answers

Hey hey heyyy!

Hey hey heyyy!

Thank you SO much for sticking with this story to the end... I am happy to announce that this is the penultimate chapter so after all this time it looks like I am FINALLY gonna finish once and for all (happy dance!!) ... I hope you have enjoyed spending time with Lennon, Kye and the magical mysteries of Melwyn Bay. Let me know what you think of this chapter and I will try and get the Epilogue out asap!

Much love,
Becky xx

Chapter 22

Answers

Despite everything she had been through, the kidnapping and mind control followed by the gigantic revelation that merpeople existed, Keiko was surprisingly calm as she sat, fully-conscious, around the dining table. In fact, she was brimming with enthusiasm and curiosity about the whole ordeal, which just reminded me why she was my best friend in the first place. If only we had told her the truth sooner, maybe none of this would have happened.

"So you've always helped them Ms. Morgan?" she asked Mum, tightening the blanket over her shoulders as she spoke. We had bundled her in fabric to make sure she warmed up, and of course, a cup of tea was at the ready as soon as we got to her house. "How many merpeople have there been? Have you helped anyone since me and Lennon were born? How have you managed to keep this secret for so long?!"

It was a barrage of questions, but Mum smiled, happy to answer them. It was the least we could do after everything that had just happened. Keiko was in this now whether we liked it or not, and we had to trust her to keep the secret.

"Actually, Kye is the first merperson to come to me in over 17 years. I thought my days of helping were long behind me. But I guess maybe they've started up again." She shifted in her chair, the weight of her guilt making her uncomfortable. We both knew why she had taken such a long break from her duties. Because of my father. The father she never told me about. Not the real story at any rate. "There have been quite a few over the years though, maybe some you may know who settled in the village. I've been very careful with how I integrate each merperson into the human world. It's why I lead such a secretive life. No one must ever know about this, Keiko. If it ever got out, well, you know what humans are like. Someone would be digging up the ocean in no time at all and the whole Merworld would be under threat."

"I'll never tell a soul," Keiko promised. "Not even my parents. I won't breathe a word, I swear."

I reached across the table and took her hand. "Thanks Keiks. I knew we could trust you. I'm just so, so sorry I had to lie to you." She squeezed my fingers and I felt tears building in my eyes. "I'm so sorry we put you in danger. I don't know what I would have done if anything had happened to you. I would never have forgiven myself."

"Hey, it's OK," she said. "I get it. This isn't something you can drop on most people. It's... a lot to take in."

"Are you OK with it? I mean, we can erase your memory if this is too much. I don't want you to feel frightened or freaked out."