Chapter 1

(I'm no professional writer so don't expect the best here lol)

I see the long, jet black hair of my mother. I notice her peircing blue eyes that stand out from the rest of her face. Her tan skin, pink lips, dark eyebrows, and blue dress. I take in everything that I didn't take time to the night of the crash. The night that I never got to see her again. The night exatly 2 years ago. Then she's gone. My dad calls me downstairs to go eat breakfest before school. Lately everywhere I go, Mom's there. Waiting for me. Like a message hanging by a thread just above my head. She's there, then she's gone. I walk slowly down the stairs, not wanting to see the face of whom my mother once loved. He stands there, next to my brother who keeps asking him when the bus will come. Mom use to take us to school, then after she died, Dad took us, but he got a new job. I go right past them into the kitchen. I walk to the pantry, grab some ceral and a bowl, and sit down at the dark purple counter. I've eaten about 2 bites before my brother calls

"The bus is here Melina!"

"I'm walking Darian." I call back

He shakes his head and runs through the door, calling to his friends on the bus. Dad closes the door and turns to me.

"You better get going if your gonna walk." I get up, leaving my half eaten bowl of ceral on the counter. He hands me my bag, giving me a sad smile. "Love you." he whispers in my ear.

"Love you to dad." I whisper back.

***

I've never walked but I partially know the way. I see one of the popular boy from my school cross the street, now taking the same path as me. I follow him just to be sure.

***

The bell rings, signiling it's time for class. I walk to first period, Ms. Harley, room 104. English. We're learning about writing essays. We go through the same routine we've been dping the whole year. Edit yesterdays essay, she tells us a topic, and write another. We never really learn much in her class, but I like it because its relaxed. Most of the time she's to tierd to come up with a topic so it can be about whatever you want. Today I write about the importance of vauling what time you have with your family. That every moment could be your last. Don't take the ones you love for granted.

At period 3 its three minutes till lunch. My favorite. Pasta and red sauce. All day I've been distracted and not really doing my work. We havn't really been doing much anyways. The bell rings so I grab my stuff and go. I put everything in my locker, and as my fingers push down to close the lock I see something from the corner of my eye. My mother. The guy I followed ealier turns his head away from his locker to look in the spot where my mother stands. We both stare at her. Her eyes stay soley on me. She gives me a small smile. Karson (the boy) looks over where my mother's eyes are looking. His eyes flicker from me to her. A confused look on his face. He turns his head for a second to look toward his friends, and when he looks back, she's gone. His friends start walking out. They call for him to go with them. He calls back

"I'll catch up. Start heading over there without me."

Quicky, I duck my head and try to walk out with the crowd. Hoping he wouldn't see me. I hear him slam his locker shut and walk over to where I'm standing. He grabs me by the arm and pulls me to the back where no one can hear us.

"Ow!" I say.

"You saw it, didn't you?" he asks. He very quickly tries to get the words out while whispering.

"It's not It. It's, a she." I respond with. He rolls his eyes.

"Do you know who she is. I've been seeing her everywhere I go today."

I stop walking and stiffen. I look him dead in the eyes. "She's my mother. She died in a car crash 2 years ago." My eyes start to water. His eyes look at me, like a say puppy, looking to its owner for help. We stand in silence, looking into each other's eyes as if we might get an answer out of them. Till he says one single word.

"Oh" The same word I used whe dad told me mom passed away in the hospital the next morning before school. The same word my brother used when I told him because dad didn't want to. The same word all my teachers said when I told them why I wasn't at school that day. The same word all my family used when my brother and I anounced it.

"Yea." I whisper back, bearly audible. But he can still hear it. We start walking again, over to the cafiteria. I grab my food, looking for a place to sit. My eyes scan the room. Nothing. Usally I just go and sit at the edge of one of the tables with fewer people. Just as I place my food down and begin to sit, I hear my name being called by a voice I just heard.

"Melina." Karson calls. His hand  is raised up high in the air waving me over. Strand of my blond brown hair is in my face. I push them back. Slowly, I get up, picking up my food with me. I have a small smile on my face as I lock eyes with Karson as I walk over. I can feel the stares coming in my derection. No one just gets called over to the poular table, but I just did. I take a seat next to him. Every one except the people at out table start back up their conversations. After a long 30 seconds of awkard staring with everyone at the table, I turn my head to Karsona and nodd my head to everyone else. It takes him a second to get the gist.

"Oh, um. Everyone meet Melina. Melina meet . . . everyone." he quickly says. I give an awkard smile and wave. His brown eyes soften, and his lips curl into a smile. A strand of his dark brown hair falls in his face. I turn back to everyone. They're still just staring at me. Karson nodds his head towards me. All of the sudden 2 or 3 people give a small "Hey" and conversation starts back up again at the table.

Well, that went better then expected." My eyes turn back to him. I give a small laugh.

"Yea. Wasn't awkard at all." he laughs. " I'd hate to see it when it goes wrong." Karson opens his mouth to say something but is cut off by the sound of my brothers voice.

"Melina!" Darian shouts from across the lunch room. He comes running frantically over to me. Tears in his eyes. I look him up and down.

"Wha-?" I'm cut off.

"It's dad. He's in the hospital. He got in a car crash, the people at the hospital are saying it was the same person who killed . . . who killed," he falters.

"Mom?" I ask. He nodds slowly. He grabs my by the arm, pulling me up from the table. I quickly wave bye to Karson, he gives a sad smile and waves back.

"We have to go. NOW!" Darian yells at me. We sprint through the doors of the cafeteria, taking a left to get where the road meets my school. We sprint the whole way home. My feet ache from the pounding of my feet on the ground.

***

Finnaly we get to our driveway. I sprint inside, grab the keys, and sprint out. We both look at each other and get the same idea. I'm oldest, I shoudl drive even though I'm only 15. It's not a big age difference, he's only a year younger. We open the doors to the car, get in, and slam the doors shut. I turn on the car as quickly as possible. Crying, I start speeding to the hospital, with only one thought in mind.

I can't lose both.