thirty six : wedding

So I cut you off
I don't need your love
'Cause I already cried enough
I've been done
I've been movin' on since we said goodbye
- Dua Lipa, IDGAF

So I cut you offI don't need your love'Cause I already cried enoughI've been doneI've been movin' on since we said goodbye- Dua Lipa, IDGAF

TYLER

I'd never come to a wedding before. My mum practically cut all ties with her family years ago when she'd dropped out of college to raise me so I didn't know any of my relatives. My father, Alexander Bernucci, whom I called Principal Bernucci or 'the bastard' until recently, only had one little sister named Clarabelle but she wasn't married.

It sounded weird how my parents' wedding would be the first wedding I'd attend because a child usually wasn't born yet or too young to remember a thing. Yet here I was, on the way to the wedding rehearsal although I had no idea that we needed to rehearse a wedding.

My cell phone on the table a few feet away from me rang. I walked across the floor and glanced at the caller's identification. Normally, I would have just picked it up without care but I was avoiding calls from Autumn. The word 'Alexander' flashed on the screen and I quickly answered the call, "Dad?"

"Tyler, where are you, son?" asked him, his tone a bit demanding.

"Home," I answered. "I just arrived and put my luggage in my room. I'm going there as soon as I can."

I heard my dad let out a small sigh. "Good. I need you here. There's--" He paused and it sounded like he put the phone away and was talking to someone. After twenty seconds of inaudible noises, my dad finally spoke again, "Ty, your mother, and I, we have news for you and Shanelle, an important one. The faster you get here, the better."

I frowned. "Dad, what is it?"

"Just get here, okay? Your mother and I will be waiting."

I glanced at the doorway where Faith was standing. She'd gone to the bathroom earlier. "Dad, I'm bringing a fri--" I didn't have a chance to finish my sentence as he'd hung up. I stared at my phone, wondering what on earth was about. My dad, being Carlton High principal for nearly a decade, was not someone who could easily get nervous yet he'd sounded super nervous and anxious.

I shoved my phone into my pants pocket and walked towards Faith. "Ready?"

She smiled and gave me a nod. "Yeah."

With my car in NYC, the only car left in the garage was Shanelle's flashy red MINI Cooper since Dad had taken his Mercedes. "Darn, it." I knew red wasn't exactly a girly color, some men would prefer red cars over natural colors like black, but sadly I wasn't one of those.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked at Faith. "Give me the keys, buddy. Let me drive."

I shook my head. "No, you don't have to." The inner gentleman inside me told me that I should be the one driving regardless of how small and flashy the car was. After all, it was just a car.