chapter nineteen

//(Y/N in body of Taehyung//
"(Y/N)?" He called out into the darkness of his bedroom. I was in the bathroom, brushing my teeth, but I still heard his voice. I hummed out in response before spitting out the toothpaste and rinsing my mouth.

"I-I um..." he trailed off as I entered the room, turning on the lights. "I'm nervous for tomorrow." He looked up at me, eyes brimming with tears. He looked so small and fragile wrapped up in his thick blankets and he also looked vulnerable.

Memories of the Taehyung of second year flooded my mind. His downcast eyes and shaking hands. Then the Taehyung of this year, third year. His confident strides as he walked and his haunting stares. All a mask of sorts. Hiding his true state of being, afraid.

I crossed the room in a flash and was by his side. "Tae," I pulled him into a hug. "Please don't be nervous. You've been practicing so hard," he looked up at me through his eyelashes, lips in a small frown. "I've seen you dance. You're improving so much. I'd say you're almost looking like Hana."

He nodded slowly. "I don't know. I'm just worried about you more than I am of myself up on stage." he paused, lost in thought, staring at the wrinkled bedsheets.

I just smiled gently, sitting on the spot next to him on the bed. He moved over and draped the blanket over me.

"I'm worried about how there's going to be scouts there and I'm the one dancing. I'm not experienced, (N/N)," I intertwined my hand with his, noting how his shoulders weren't as tense as they used to be. "I don't want to- to ruin things for you."

"Taehyung," he brought his eyes up from our hands. "You won't do that. Your amazing, even if you aren't experienced in dancing. I think you're amazing for doing this, for trying, for being there for me." That got him to show a hint of a smile.

"Are you sure?" He asked shyly. I nodded with a small laugh. Taehyung just smiled and kept his eyes on me as I laughed. "You have no idea how badly I want to kiss you."

I stopped laughing and turned my head way from him. My breath hitched in my throat. Forget butterflies, he made me feel the whole zoo.

"But then I look at you and you're literally me so no." He joked. I blushed lightly as I pushed his shoulder.

"Wow. That's so mean, Taehyung!" But he has a point. He fell back into the bed and laughed up a storm.
-
We stood on the steps of Hana's little home. I thought back to that one day when she snapped. She hasn't actually said anything about it. That often left us thinking about how to handle the situation.

She opened the door with her usual bright smile. Were her eyes always missing that light from her smile?

"So, I have the outfits in my room! They're so cute," Hana mused as she lead us to her room. "It's a flowy white skirt with a pastel pink shirt and I even got some berets!" She brought out her jazz hands as she pointed out the outfits on her bed.

"Cool," Taehyung said simply. Hana pulled a frown and narrowed her eyes at his enthusiasm. "Where should I change?"

"In here, in just a sec." Hana said sweetly. She ran into her bathroom to get a few things. Taehyung turned to me, startled at the fact that he would have to change with Hana.

"What do you want me to do?" I whispered. He rolled his eyes. Hana came waddling in with her makeup bags in hand.

"Taehyung. You can't be here, you're a guy. Leave us girls to change into our clothes." Hana said. She sounded like she was joking but her eyes told a different story. They had some emotion in them that made them cold and as hard as a rock.

"Yeah. Sure. I'll be outside."
-
Hana's parents gave me some bread to eat while I waited. It was awkward even with the tv on. They didn't seem to add anything to the conversation and looked annoyed.