Out in the Open

A few minutes later we reached Starlight Diner. It was starting to get dark out and so the place was lit up nicely. The open sign flashed back at us telling us they were open. Once we walked up to the front door, I opened it for Byeongkwan.

We were greeted by a very nice waiter. I haven't seen this guy in the restaurant before. He must be the new employee that Taekwoon told him about. The new guy was rather tall and had bright red hair. He must have died it or something because it's an unnatural color.

"Hello there, my name is Hakyeon and i will be your waiter today. What can i start you off with to drink?" The waiter, Hakyeon, asked.

"I just want water," I told Hakyeon.

"Same please," I heard Byeongkwan tell the other.

"Alright I will be right back with your waters and give you a few minutes to decide on what you would like to order," the waiter told us before he left us alone again.

Silence followed as we looked at the menus that were given to us. It didn't take me long to figure out what I wanted. I put my menu down flat on the table and waited for Byeongkwan to decide what he wanted. I watched as Byeongkwan scrunched his eyebrows slightly as he tried to decide.

"Here is your waters. Are you guys ready?" Hakyeon asked the two.

"I just want a burger with a side of chicken," I told Hakyeon. The waiter smiled as he wrote down my order.

"You must be the famous Kim Sehyoon. Taekwoon talked about you once," Hakyeon spoke softly. I was shocked.

"Taekwoon talks about me?" I asked. Hakyeon then nodded.

"He always did since I first met him, " Hakyeon answered.

"I haven't seen Taekwoon in a while," I told the waiter. "How is he doing?"

"He is doing fine," Hakyeon told me and then he turned to Byeongkwan. "What can i get you?"

"I would like your 4 piece chicken meal with a side of chicken wings," Byeongkwan ordered.

"What kind of sauce for the wings?" Hakyeon asked my boyfriend.

"Ranch please," the young man answered.

"Alright is that everything you two want?" Hakyeon asked us both.

"That's it," I answered. With that, Hakyeon left to take our orders to the back.

I sat there and studied Byeongkwan. He watched as Hakyeon left and went to the back. He had that deer in the headlight look on his face. It was like he was surprised that somebody knew me.

"Explain," was all Byeongkwan said minutes later.

"Explain what?" I questioned.

"How does he know you and who is Taekwoon?" Byeongkwan asked me. I sighed at this. "What are you hiding from me?"

"It's a long story," I told my boyfriend.

"Tell me," Byeongkwan told me. He pouted like a young puppy.

"Taekwoon saved me from the gang I was in after I disappeared from your life," I told him. There was no way i was going to tell him everything.

"You were in a gang? Did you kill people? Are you a thief?" Byeongkwan bombarded me with questions.

"I never was out in the field like others," I replied honestly. This surprised my boyfriend. I could see something flash in his eyes.

"Which gang were you apart of?" Byeongkwan asked. He had fear in his eyes with a mix of anger.

"Ghost Dragon," I told him. Byeongkwan suddenly got pale and he froze on the spot. It was like it had taken something important from him.

"Out of all the gangs you had to be a part of that one," Byeongkwan said angrily.

"What happened?" I asked. I knew what happened for him to be scared and angry with them.

"What do you mean what happened? A year ago they, your gang, killed my parents and left me to fend for myself. This is why I haven't been able to afford college or my house. I lost everything because of them. I've been living on the streets for the past year until Yoochan found me," Byeongkwan hissed quietly.

"I got out of there because they wouldn't listen. I tried to protect your parents but they wouldn't listen to a house pet as they had called me," i explained. I could see tears building in the young man's eyes.

"You left me a long time ago and now you were with the people that killed my parents. What else you going to do to me?" Byeongkwan sobbed.

"I ran from the gang to protect you. They are after you, Kwan. I can't let them take the man I love from me. For the past year I have been trying to find you," I told him. I obviously lied about the last part but he didn't need to know that.

"Oh..." Byeongkwan said between sniffles. What surprised me was Byeongkwan rushed over to my side of the table and hugged me so tight. I felt the other tremble as he cried into my shoulder. He was sitting in my lap, or at least trying to. I felt bad for my boyfriend. I knew it was hard for him to lose his parents. I watched them kill his parents. I had snuck out that day to try and stop it but once I got there, I was too late. The version of Byeongkwan was one I never wanted to see.

"I'm so sorry about your parents. I tried everything I could. I even got tied up for trying to stop them. I feel bad for not getting them to leave them alone and when I left they were after you because I left. The leader and I made a deal that they would leave you alone as long as I was with them," I whispered to the younger man who was just holding onto me for dear life.

"I'm glad you tried to save me," Byeongkwan told me. I was surprised for this. " I always knew you would be secretly taking care of me when you left me."

"Well, that's because I love you and I wont let anything happen to the only person I love on this planet. And I will fight to the death to keep you safe," I told him. He looked up at me and smiled. I could get lost in this smile of his. This boy was just something else.