Chapter 11- Death of the Dead

"Malia, wake up. Wake up!" I hollered, grabbing her shoulders and shaking them. She groaned and rolled over,

"Stop it Phae, I'm sleep here," she said grumpily.

"Malia!" I called with more ground this time. Malia moaned again, but slowly pulled herself up from the ground.

"What?” she asked crankily before adding, “ And where's James and that other girl?" she asked with a hint of grumpiness coming back when she mentioned Crystal. It was safe to say that Malia and Crystal didn’t get along. Malia found her annoying and bratty, whereas Crystal found Malia crazy and evil. She thought that my neighbor was going to side with Death which James and I thought is ridiculous because we thought Death killed this so-called Ezro, her partner.

"How are you?" I asked, ignoring her pestering question.

"Good, good. Tired, tired," Malia spoke vaguely, and I chuckled at her repeativeness. I then stood up.

"Well, Blondie came up with the ingenious to explore," Malia said sarcastically, and I frowned. I didn’t say anything though, “So we are going to be ‘around exploring’. So see you all later after we find nothing.”

I rolled my eyes at her hatefulness, and turned to James. He noticed my stare, and shrugged his shoulders, in a sign that neiher of us knew what to do.

“Well…Yesterday, I saw something pretty interesting before I ran out,” I started excitedly. Who knew? Maybe this ditch was a new activity. He frowned,

“Okay,” he drawled. I rolled my eyes, and grabbed onto his elbow. He yelped in surpirse, but let me take him away. I walked over into the same tear in the wall, as I did yesterday. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I immediately saw the ditch I had seen earlier. I grinned, and turned my gaze over to James.

“So? Pretty cool, right?” I bumped his shoulder. He muttered something under his breath like ‘I guess so’, but I didn’t give him enough time to catch it. I ran towards the ditch. Each time my goot hit the ground, dirt spewed away from it. The ground seemed like a planting garden or something. As I arrived at the little hole, I realized that ‘little’ was not a great way to describe the gigantic hole.

“Er-well-hole…looked….smaller-when,” I tried to stutter out a coherent sentence, but I was too amazed by the size of the hole. I looked over at James to see what he was thinking. A mischevious smile had crept onto his face, and I widened my eyes in slight fear of what he was thinking. Without warning, we pushed my into the ditch.

A sharp high pitched scream sliced through the original silence of the room. It took me a few seconds before I realized that I was the one who let it out. My heart picked up speed, as my body smashed into the suprisingly soft soil at the ground of the hole. I groaned as my arm felt like a sharp objedct was diggin into it. I reached out under my arm, and pulled out a stick. I groaned again, and threw it far away from me. I looked up to see the dark silhouette of James standing near the edge of the hole. I was glad the darknes prevented me from seeing his smug expression.

“James! You idiot! Get in here!” I screamed up at him. Now that my pain and fear went away, anger boiled in my veins. He just pushed me. What if there was some animal in here? In fact, what if there was? I whimpered in fear at the thought and scooched myself to the edge of the hole.

“Phae? Look, I’m sorry. It was a joke, I’ll get out,” he gushed out. But by the way his form wasn’t moving, I had no doubt he had no clue how to get me out. Suddenly, a glinting object flew down into my vision, and landed with a small thud into the soil ground. I immediately took it. I widened my eyes, as the object was clear to me.