chapter 4

the sun rises the next morning.
everyone was up early, talking and making plans.

they all decided lucy should stay with the dragons and should learn to control herself, as well as learn new magic.

"so, dragon slaying magic?" lucy's eyes sparkled. "sounds cool!"

she was better, she was happy— after talking to the dragons, she felt more at ease. she felt at peace. she still did blame herself for her mothers death, but she was past that now.

"yeah, you'll be so powerful you can rule the world!" zerconis encouraged. "what do you even call that, celeste? what do we name what she is?"

"a dragon slayer, of course. although, there is no term to truly define lucy," celeste stated.

atlas flame rolled his eyes and turned to lucy, smiling. "let's just call it, the best. luce is the best of the best."

that was probably the nicest thing he had ever said to lucy. probably the nicest thing he's ever said in his life.

lucy grinned from ear to ear. "it's lucy, flame head!"

"we start training after breakfast!" zerconis shouted as he slid lucy some bread and berries.

a year and a few months had passed and lucy already mastered zerconis' magic, as well as telepathy. she even learned how to read!

"a b c, it's easy as 1 2 3!" lucy bobbed her head, signing and humming.

"little lu!" zerconis called.

"huh?"

"come here, hurry!"

lucy hurriedly stood up and ran over to zerconis in worry. "what is it?"

"happy birthday!" the three dragons sang. "happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday!"

the three of them sat there stupidly smiling. there was a cake in front of them with white frosting. "happy sixth birthday!" celeste shouted.

lucy has never had the pleasure of having a birthday party and she's only had cake about once or twice.
she couldn't help but smile. "thank you guys! happy birthday to you too!"

she ran over to them, hugging each one of their claws. after she'd finished hugging them, she stared at the cake. "so how'd you make this?"

"cake mix," atlas flame said as if it was the most simplest thing in the world. which is was, but they'd never had anything so complex there.

lucy shrugged it off and sat in front of the cake. she took her hand and placed it one the cake, taking a handful and shoving it into her mouth.

"wow! this is so good!" she said through a mouth full of cake.

it was a strawberry cake with vanilla frosting, and a few chocolate sprinkles on top.

four years had now passed. lucy was strong as ever. always acting so grown and tough. she was raised well.
well, for the most part.

"nice work, little lu!" zerconis grinned.

lucy opened her eyes and cheered as she saw what she had done. "i know right! that was so good!" she then laughed. "i'm not little anymore, big z!"

"yes you are." zerconis attempted to put the tree back in the ground, but it continued to fall. "you'll always be my little lu!" he teased.

"you broke one of my trees again?!"