Chapter 6

Neytiri

The sky is gray and the castle is dark. Rain pours from the sky like a river, drenching the gardens. I tense as a loud crack echoes throughout the castle. I've never heard it before. Ismena says it's called lightning, and the loud rumble that vibrates the walls are thunder.

Today, I am sitting in one of the main rooms, in front of the hearth that emits fire. Ismena left hours ago to tend to her duties. Apparently, something big is coming that requires all of the staff's assistance. I stare into the orange flames, and draw my knees to my chest. It's scary being alone in this place. Truly alone. I know no one here, and yet they all watch me like a hawk, never letting me leave their site.

I haven't spoken with or heard from Cassian in days. And I have no idea where he could possibly be, or where his wing resides. I know nothing of this castle. I look around the empty room, and stand deciding to go in search of something to do.

The only lights come from the candles on the walls, lighting up the entire hall as I make my way throughout the castle. I pass by various servants, all of which are too busy to stop and ask me where it is I am heading. But I don't miss the stares. You would think they would be used to seeing an Ikniri by now or be aware of my presence in the castle.

I don't pay attention to my surroundings ending up in an unfamiliar part of the castle. I look around trying to find something that shows me a little of the king that lives here, but there are no paintings, statues, or anything. Only his banner that hangs on the walls with the symbol that has been etched into my flesh all these years.

Another loud crack resonates off the walls, echoing throughout the castle. I turn around, trying to backtrack just wanting to go back to my room and hide from the storm outside. I keep walking until I pass by a room, and I hear music coming from it. It's an instrument I haven't heard before. It sounds as if a lot of tones are being thrown together at once. Yet it creates such a beautiful melody.

I pause in front of the large double doors, pressing my ear against the wood. Sure enough, the sound is coming from within. The thunder rumbles in the sky, and I let out a soft gasp as fear coils my throat. A few seconds later the music stops.

The door is pulled open, and I fall forward into the room, hitting the marble floor. I cry out in shock from the impact.

"Eavesdropping will get you killed." I tense and my skin grows chilled when I hear the voice. Cassian. I immediately look up, and see that he's walking away from me. My eyes widen as I take in his form. I can see him from behind. He's tall, and broad. His body obviously muscular. It's hard to tell from the thick fabric that adorns his skin. His hair is long. Longer than mine. And pitch black, but it's pulled in a loose ponytail that falls past his waist.

I only have seconds to take in his appearance before he disappears into the dark shadow of the room. He takes a seat at a strangely shaped wooden instrument, and begins softly playing a melody. I look beyond him at the large glass windows and I can see the rain falling hard outside. I look back to his form which is silhouetted by the lack of lighting.

"Are you going to just stand there, or are you going to come inside?" His voice sails across the room with ease, easily heard over the soft music emitting from his fingers. I slowly move forward, making my way to where he is seated. My mind is reeling in anticipation at finally being able to see the face behind the voice.

"That's far enough." I pause in my tracks looking down at my feet and seeing where I am. Not near close enough to see his face. Disappointment courses through me. Why won't he let me see him? I could just move forward and look at him regardless of his wishes, but something deep inside is holding me back.