Chapter 25

Neytiri

No one moves. No one says a word. I don't know what words could possibly be said in this moment. The people standing in front of us with their weapons are supposed to be dead. All of them. But here they are. Alive and well. I notice Caius shifting slightly so that his body is in front of mine, but I take a step forward placing my hand on his arm.

The men that attacked us are looking at me in confusion. They still have their blades raised, but I can see the war raging in their eyes. Their icy blue eyes. Like mine. Their hair is stark white, matching the snow around us as well as the tribal markings on their bodies. And although they live in the mountains where the sun is scarce, their skin is brown, like mine.

Finally, someone speaks.

"Toloup 'ta kadgob?" The man on the left speaks first. His words are directed towards me. He's tall and muscular. Obviously a warrior. His hair is cropped, and he has a symbol on his bare arm, wrapping form his shoulder down to his elbow that is covered in ice.

I slowly step around Caius, noticing that they keep their weapons raised as well. I blink in confusion, strangely enough, I know exactly what the man said to me. 'Who are you?'

I know because it's the exact same language they spoke in my memories. When I was a child. I've never known the language growing up. I never had to and I had no idea that I even knew it. Judging from the expressions on the men around me, they don't know the language. But I respond in the same tongue, as not to startle the Ikniri warriors.

"My name is Neytiri. I've been raised as a child by a woman that found me after the attack of the Dragonborn, and was taken by the people of that village to the dragonborn king. These men helped me to escape, and have pledged their loyalty to me." I say,

I notice all of the men looking at me in shock. The warriors exchange shocked glances, and the blades made of ice that once adorned the warriors' arms slowly dissipate, melting back into their skin.

The man that spoke to me steps forward, placing his arm against his stomach and lowering his upper body. The other does the same. They're bowing. To me. I stare at them in shock, my eyes growing wide from their sudden change in stance.

They stand, holding their hands.

"Please. Follow us," he says. I look to Caius,

"He wants us to follow him," I say. Caius looks untrusting but nods his head. He places his sword back in its sheath, looking to the other men behind us and they all do the same. I look back to the warriors that are watching us with caution, responding in my native tongue.

"Lead the way."

It's eerie walking through the now desolate village. I look around me at things that were once more than just a pile of rubble. These people may be alive, but they are not thriving. I sense the guilt running through the men as they pass by the result of their work.

We pass by the center of the village, and I know it is because I recognize it. The large fire that was usually lit in the center is now a small fire. The homes that were once large and proud are run down and broken, the people even more so. But I see their eyes light up when they take in the strangers entering their village. I keep my gaze forward and the warriors leading us pause when we reach the entrance of a cave.

They stop walking and turn to us, and the one that's been speaking points to the men behind me.

"They must stay here," he says. I pause.

"Why?" I ask. Anger flashes across his features.

"This is no place for trash like them," he growls out.