Chapter 17

Neytiri

Chains. Chains.

The original castle that I left in freedom I have returned to in chains.

My heart aches.

"I'll never hurt you."

Those were his words. That was his promise. But I see now it all meant nothing. Though I want to feel bitter hatred, I feel nothing but sadness. Not just from his words, but from the fact that Caius has yet to awaken. I did that to him.

Cassian said I could have killed him. Which must mean he's at least alive, right? No one will tell me ow he is and Cassian won't let me see him. My shoulder still aches from the burns that Cassian gave me that night. And ever since then, it's as if the power that I could feel awakening in me has all but disappeared, turning dormant. I don't know if it's something that Cassian did, or if it's from my fear of control.

My arms have been locked in some kind of steel, but that's the only kind of binding they've put me in. I hate the looks that I get from all the men. As if they really hate me. I look up when I see the castle coming into view. The men around me cheer from the successful trip, but I can't help but feel dread. Cassian is back in his domain with his Ikniri prisoner.

I can feel the glare that Cassian gives me each time he passes me. So, I keep my gaze down, waiting for whatever is to come.

* * * * *

"What the hell happened?" I tense when I hear Krea after she examines Caius.

"Can you heal him?" Cassian asks. She's silent for a moment.

"Yes. But it will take some doing," she says. She comes towards me, taking in my chains. Her gaze narrows.

"So, the child is no longer an innocent," she says. She looks back at Cassian.

"You're playing with fire, my king. Let me deal with her," she says.

Cassian shakes his head watching me.

"That won't be necessary," he says. Krea shifts her gaze to me and reaches out plucking a strand of my hair. I gasp from the sudden pain, but she offers no apology as she walks away motioning for the men that are carrying Caius to follow her. I use the opportunity to look, and let out a soft gasp, tears springing into my vision.

His chest has an angry red scar on it, and his eye is black. Also, his arm has been placed in a makeshift cast.

"I did that?" I whisper in horror. I feel a rough tug on my chains and realize that Cassian is pulling on them.

"Wait, Cassian you must let me see him, it was an accident I never meant to hurt him," I sob.

Cassian ignores me as he pulls me along. We walk through the halls, all the while he ignores my pleas and cries. We walk until we are at the two double doors that I recall going into when I first arrived. His chambers.

He walks past the two guards.

"Do not interrupt, unless it's news on Caius," he says.

The men nod their heads, but I don't miss the glares they give me as he pulls me inside of his chambers. I tug on the chains trying to pull away but it's no use. He's much stronger than me. He yanks me over the threshold so hard, my feet are pulled off the ground, and I'm sent flying into the room, colliding with the dark marble floor. I quickly scramble up, running to the doors as they are pulled shut, the sliver of light slowly disappearing.

The chains pull tight, and I have nowhere to run as the doors close in front of me.

Cassian pulls me into a room where his bath has been drawn. There is steam in the air, and the heat is welcoming. There is a little bit of light from the candles, but not enough for me to feel at ease.