Chapter 36

Ezra's pov

"Thanks, Fry!" Cally told the guy with a big smile on her lips. She pushed two cups with some weird looking liquid into my hands and took two herself. Then she turned around and bumped against my shoulder while walking back into the direction of the building's exit. "Come on, Ez! Gotta get this to the guys." The guys?
     I turned around and made a short jog to catch up with her, "Cally, can you please explain to me what's going on?"
     "I will, at the end of the night. Most of the Shanks will be asleep then, so we won't draw attention."
     I let out a small laugh, "Shank? What is a Shank? Why do you even talk like that?"
     Cally shrugged, clearly not liking me pointing that out. "I don't know why I talk like this, okay? I think I just picked it up along the way. It means something along the lines of dude or friend... I think. No one ever really explained it to me."
     Before I could ask anything else, we reached Newt and Minho. Cally handed Newt one cup and I gave Minho my second one. Newt thanked Cally, but Minho just took it from me, barely admitting that I existed. God that guy really does not like me.
     Cally and the guys started drinking without hesitation, but I looked at the drink, not really knowing what it was. I looked up when Cally laughed and hit me on the shoulder, "Try it! It doesn't taste that bad, you know."
     "What is it?"
     "No idea," Cally answered me.
     "Frypan makes it. Doesn't share the recipe with anyone. As far as we know anyway," Newt continued.
     My eyes found Cally's again, raising a judging eyebrow at her. "You don't know what's in it and you still drink this shit?"
     "Ow, com'n man! Grow some balls and drink," Minho said, clearly done with the conversation.
     I rolled my eyes but took a sip from the cup. When I tasted the substance, I immediately spit it back out again, "This is disgusting!"
     Cally, Newt, and Minho busted out laughing, "it isn't that bad, Shank." Minho said matter-of-factly.
     Cally emptied her cup in her mouth and swallowed it, "I love this stuff," she said, "but if you don't want it..." she reached out to mine, I looked up and shook my head when I handed it to her.
     "Knock yourself out si... girl." I said, realizing just in time that I couldn't call her sister like I'm used to.
     "What do ya think 'bout this place so far, Greenie?" Newt asked me genuinely.
     I thought about my answer for some time, "it's okay, I guess. It's better than that metal box, that's for sure."
     "Yeah, ya could say that." Newt said while he was shifting on his feet a little.
     Apparently, Cally noticed the shifting, too, 'cause her expression changed, "did you just stand on it? Doesn't that hurt?"
     "Just a little, but... but not much."
     "You shouldn't do that, what if you make it worse?"
     Newt let out a small laugh, "I know, really, Cals. It's okay..."
     But my sister didn't seem to let him off that easily. "Do you want to sit down? We could claim a table an-"
     "Slim it, Cally." Minho interrupted her rudely. "He said it's okay, so it's okay."
     I could see Cally was annoyed, but she hid it immediately so they wouldn't notice. "Maybe you should take it easy on her man," I said, not liking the way he was acting.
     Now Minho did look at me, "Maybe you should back off and let the Shank talk for herself." It sounded like he was getting angry again. Good. Because he was getting on my nerves and I needed an excuse to hit him.
     "Okay!" Cally said while coming between us and pushing me back. Apparently, we had gotten closer to each other without me noticing.
     Cally also pushed Minho back before grabbing my arm, "com'n, Ez. I'm gonna show you some stuff and we'll come back when you and Minho can play nice."
     Before we could react, she started pulling me with her, "Bye guys!" She called to the two.
     "Where are you taking me? Are we gonna talk now?" I whispered so no one else could hear me.
     Cally shook her head, "we're going to have some fun."
     She took me to a group of guys who were standing and cheering around something. "What are we going to do?"
     Cally pushed herself to the front of the group, still dragging me along. "I'm going to defend my title." She said, then she let go of my arm. I could see now where the guys were looking at. Two of them were fighting. Although they weren't trying to hit each other, it looked more like they were trying to force the other to move until one of them got pushed over a line and everyone erupted in cheers and clapping.
     "Hey, Gally!" Cally shouted out of nowhere. The guy in the middle of the crowd that just had pushed the other guy over the line, turned to us. "Ready for a re-match?"
     The guy smirked, "Bring it on, Shank!" He reacted, and Cally walked over the line, which actually was a big circle drawn in the sand.