Chapter 37

Cally's pov

When Ezra and I got out of the Deadheads, most of the Gladers were  already asleep. We stayed some time to talk about everything, about how it was at home and the things that had happened in the Glade, but then we both went to sleep ourselves.
     The next morning, during breakfast, Minho was clearly still offended by me, and it was clear he hated Ezra even more now. I really didn't get why he was so angry at him. It really couldn't just be because he hit me.
     Today, Ezra would start working with Frypan and the other cooks in the kitchen. I was positive that he would do way better than me. In some weird way, he seemed to have gotten both our shares of cooking talent. It isn't that much, but still. It's like he called dips on it and left me with only enough to use an oven. So not fair.
     Anyway, as usual, after breakfast, I was on M.R. duty. Most of the time, Newt would've accompanied me when there was no one else since he still had trouble with his foot. But today, he, Zart, and Alby had decided that Newt was going to help in the Gardens, at least for how much he could.
     During those hours with Bark alone in that room, I was bored. I threw some stuff through the room for Bark so she could fetch it, but it got boring pretty quick. For me, at least, Bark couldn't get enough of it. I thought about taking out my mp3 again, but decided not to because the battery was running really low now, and I didn't want to kill it just yet.
     When it was lunchtime, I couldn't wait until Jeff would come to release me. Of course I did, but still, I was so done with that room for today. After I got some food, I sat down on a table outside, not feeling like being in that building anymore, for now.
     I looked out over the Glade from my spot. Some guys had already gone back to work, and others were still talking with each other. It was just a normal day in the Glade, nothing special.
     After some time, I could see Newt walking in the direction of the Homestead. Still struggling with the crutches. I had to keep in my laughter when I saw him trip over nothing and almost fall to the ground. Only for him to actually trip over a stone a few moments later.
     Not feeling the urge to laugh this time, I got up and jogged at him.
     "I'm so done with these bloody crutches," he said angrily as I helped him on his feet again.
     "I know," When Newt had found some kind of balance, I took the crutch that still lay on the ground and gave them back to him. "But you'll have to deal with it for just a bit longer, I'm sure you'll be able to use your foot again pretty soon now."
     "It doesn't really hurt anymore, ya know." Newt said.
     I looked at him with a small, sad smile, "it's just to be sure."
     "Yeah, I know. Anyway, thanks for helpin' me, but gotta go. Have to talk to Alby 'bout somethin'."
     "Ow yeah, sure, I won't stand in your way." Newt smiled at me and started hopping into the direction of the Homestead again, only for me to realize something,
     "Wait! Newt." He stopped walking and turned himself back to me as I rejoined his side. "Actually, I umm... I need to talk to you about something."
     "Ow, well, okay. What do ya need to talk 'bout?"
     I glanced around for a second, checking for the amount of people around us. Too much for my linking. "Can we talk in private? It's about, you know."
     Newt nodded, his face becoming serious. "Sure, let's find a quieter place, shall we?"
     It didn't take long before we found ourselves in the Deadheads again, and I turned to him. "It's about the Greenie."
     Newt seemed a bit bothered by that, "What 'bout him?"
     "Remember when you asked me if he seemed familiar to me?"
     "Yes." He crossed his brows, "you said he didn't."
     I took a deep breath. "Well, I lied. He does, but not just a little familiar. I know all about him... 'cause he's my brother."
     I hadn't expected Newt's reaction. First, he looked surprised, and then he seemed.... relieved, he let his head hang for a moment while he laughed. Then he looked up again, "So Ezra, as in your twin brother Ezra?"
     I nodded, rubbing my arm. "In the flesh."
     "Does he know? I mean, does he remember too?"
     I hesitated for a moment before nodding again. "Yes, he does. Just like me, he remembers going to bed in his room and then waking up in the Glade. I hoped he would know more, so I could finally understand how we got here, you know? But of course, he doesn't."
     I glanced at Newt and waited for a reaction, but he was biting on his nails, clearly thinking about what I had just told him. "You should stop doing that," I said, making him look at me.
     "What?"
     "Biting your nails, it's bad for you. One of the nails can get s-"
     "That's very interesting, Cals," he waved it off, "but not importand right now."
     I shook my head and looked down for a moment, "yeah you're right. Sorry."
    Newt didn't react. In fact, he stayed quiet for some time as he thought about the change of situation. "I think ya should tell Alby."
     "What?" My head shot up, looking at Newt with big eyes. "Nono, that's not going to happen."
     "Why not?"
     "Because I lied to him. 'Cause when I tell him this, he won't trust me anymore. Not that he really did that to begin with, but still. Besides, he could think we're one of the developers or something, like Winston thought, and then we'll get banished a-"
     Newt placed a hand on my arm, making me look at him again. "I won't let him. Okay?" His voice was calm and reassuring, in opposite to my desperate rambling. "You're not getting banished, neither of you are."
     "But what if he doesn't believe us? Or if he thinks we've gone crazy? I mean, I won't blame him. It's not like it's a believable story. I do-"
     "Hey, calm down, Cals." Newt had let go of his crutches and was holding both my arms now, "it's goin' to be alright. I promise. Alby will understand."
     I glared at him with a small smile, "That's nice of you, but you shouldn't make promises you can't keep."
    "Ow, but I'm not. It's going to be fine, you'll see."