Chapter 63

Cally's pov

The next day, Thomas's training to become a Runner had begun. The day itself wasn't very eventful, I did my job, just like everyone else. I still wanted to talk to Thomas about him saying he heard Teresa's voice inside of his head. But after he came back from his first day of being a Runner, it was impossible to get him alone without making it look suspicious.
     I hadn't seen Gally after he had stormed off a few days ago. I had asked Ezra if he had seen him, being a builder and all, but it turned out he hadn't. He had asked the other Builders, but they hadn't seen him either. It was like Gally had just disappeared. Rumors had started going around the Glade about what happened to him, but everyone was saying something different, some say he ran off into the Maze and died, others say he was hiding somewhere inside the Glade, but no one was sure.
     Except for Gally having vanished, it looked like Minho had been right. Everything was going back to normal. At least, so I thought. Because the next morning, I woke up, at first, I didn't notice anything weird. It was still dark outside, the first lights must have been coming up because I was able to see properly. But since it was still dark, I decided to roll over again, burying my face in my blanket. 
   Bark, on her turn, wasn't very tired. She was restless, walking around the room. The dog had her tail stuck between her legs, whining softly.
     "Bark, be quiet," I mumbled. I wasn't very awake yet and wasn't really noticing things all that well. Bark stopped for a moment as I felt her weight on the bed. She lay down at my feet, but I could hear her whining softly from time to time. 
     A few seconds later, the door to my room slammed open. I shot up, heart racing as I snapped my attention to the door with big eyes. Bark jumped up, growling at the intruder.
     It was Alby, he stormed into my room makinh his way towards me with big steps. The look on his face scared me, making me scoot back until I hit the wall.
     "Alby, what are you doi-HEY!"
     Alby grabbed my arms, pulling me out of my bed, "you knew! Didn't you? You knew and didn't say anything!" He yelled in my face.
     I was frozen at the spot, my heart pounding against my chest, trying to get away from our leader. Alby's face was red with anger, his eyes spitting fire at me. "Well?" He bit at me, shaking me by my arms, which he was still holding in an iron grip.
     "What do you mean?" I managed to ask in a shaking voice.
     Alby growled, clenching his jaw, "Don't play games with me!"
     "I'm not!" I finally found some power back. "I don't know what you're talking about!" Bark was still growling and barking at Alby, which wasn't really helping the situation.
     "You are going to tell me everything, right now." Alby continued, squeezing my arms.
     "Get away from me!" I yelled back while I tried to pull my arms out of his grip, but he wouldn't let go.
     The next moment, Newt ran into the room. He must have heard the commotion. He took one look at the situation for his eyes to widen. "Alby, let her go." His voice was calm, but I could tell he wasn't by how strained his words sounded.
     Alby looked over at his friend, anger in his eyes. "Not until she starts talking." He then looked back at me, shaking me once more, "I know you knew this was going to happen! Now-"
     "I don't know what you're talking about!" I screamed at him.
     Ezra was the next person to run into the room. "What the hell, Alby!" He started as he walked closer. "Let her go!" Newt lay a firm hand on Alby's chest. They locked eyes, and a moment later, Alby mumbled 'fine' before ruffly pushing me back.
     The sudden force made me stumble and fall to the ground. I pushed myself into a sitting position, but before I could get up, Bark was at my side. Licking my face, I stopped her from continuing as I wrapped my arms around her neck, petting her in the process. "It's okay Barky, you can calm down now." I told her as calm as I could while my body was still shaking in fear.
     Ezra was the next one to stand by me, helping me up, "You okay?" He asked me, on which I nodded in response.
     "I'm fine," I mumbled, glancing at Alby, who was giving me a death glare.
     Newt looked at me, heard my answer, and spoke up again, "Alby, what's the matter? Why did ya do that?"
     Alby's eyes switched from me, to Newt and back to me. He wanted to step towards me, but immediately, Newt stepped in front of him, hand pressed against his chest. At the same time as Ezra stepped in front of me, arm stretched out as if to protect me. Alby sighed in frustration, but accepted that he couldn't get closer to me, so he just stayed where he was. Instead, he gave me an even more intense death glare.
     "She knew. She knew and she didn't say anything! Right, Cally? You never told us everything, did ya? You know more about this place, but you kept it to yourself, and now this happens." He laughed, not a joyful laugh, it sounded more crazy than I ever had heard Alby do.
     "Why don't you just tell us? It's already happening anyway, you might as well just say it."
     I was confused, to say at least, I didn't know what he was talking about. Of course, I hadn't told him everything, but nothing bad had happened, right?
     "Cals?" Newt's voice got me back to reality, "is that true? Is there somethin' ya haven't told us?"
     I looked from Newt to Ez and to Alby, all of them looking at me, waiting for my answer. Eventually, I looked down, deciding to just tell them. "There are a few things I haven't told you, but that's because they haven't happened. And they probably won't happen anyway."
     The three still looked questioning at me, "Like what?" Ezra asked.
     I took a deep breath, but still didn't look up to any of them. "Well, what I still remember, is that... in the movie, after Teresa shows up-"
     "Teresa?" Ezra questioned, making me realize that he was the only one from us who didn't know the girl's name.
     "The sleeping girl." I explained quickly. Ezra looked at the two other boys, seeing they weren't surprised at all.
     "You guys knew that?" Newt and Alby ignored his question and told me to continue, so I did.
     "She wasn't in a coma in the movie for as far as I remember. Just, after she showed up, that night, the doors to the Maze, they didn't close." A wave of shock went through the room. I didn't dare to look up as I continued, "That's not all... the Grievers, they came into the Glade at night, taking one Glader with them every night."
     I noticed Alby wanted to speak up, but I quickly continued in a slightly louder voice. "But Teresa is here, and that didn't happen! Besides, the first Shank to be taken by a Griever was Gally, and he disappeared from existence, so that won't happen either! So it probably won't happen at all." The room was quiet for a moment, my words sinking in by the others. I thought there would be screaming, or yelling, or at least one angry person. But nothing seemed to happen at first. Until Alby spoke up.
     "What happened to the sun?"
     That question made me look up at him, brows crossed in confusion. "What do you mean? What's with the sun?"
     The three Gladers now looked at me as if I had lost it, "it's gone..?" Ezra said, his sentence more sounding like a question than a statement.
     I looked at him, "Don't be ridiculous, the sun can't be gone."
     Ezra raised an eyebrow at me, "Ow, really sister? 'Cus, I'm pretty damn sure it's not in the sky anymore."
     I glared at my brother, crossing my arms in front of my chest, but before I could say anything, Ezra turned me around and pushed me slightly towards the window. As I looked at the sky, my jaw dropped, together with my arms as my eyes widened. "The sun's gone..." I whispered and walked closer to the window, staring out to the now plain, grey sky. Which actually looked more like a ceiling than a sky at the moment.
     "Told ya," Ezra said. I could see groups of Gladers standing outside, staring up the sky.
     "You don't know anythin' about this, do ya?" Newt asked, on which I shook my head.
     "No... I don't...." I turned around the moment I heard someone else enter my room as well. Minho had joined us.
     "How the shuck can the sun be gone?" He asked the moment he entered the room.
     Then it clicked inside my brain, and my eyes lit up. "It was never there." I mumbled, again, earning weird looks from my friends.
     "That's the stupidest shuck thing you've said since-" Minho started, but I continued.
     "The sun can't disappear out of the solar system, not like this. And look outside, the 'sky' doesn't really look like one now, does it? I mean, think about it! It was never too hot or too cold. It never rained, never snowed, never a single lightning storm. That shouldn't be possible. Outside. Unless we never were outside in the first place!"
     The group of now four boys thought about my words, they seemed to believe me. Only then did Newt open his mouth, "it doesn't really matter right now. Artificial or not, we need that light. Without light, the bloody plants won't grow, which means no food."
     "We still got the supplies that get in through the box every week," Alby said.
     Only then the real problem popped into Ezra's head. "Guys, I think the real issue here is that. Plants don't just need light to grow. They need it for photosynthesis. Without photosynthesis, no oxygen. And without that shit we won't last long."
     My eyes grew wider as I subconsciously reached for my throat with my hands, "they won't suffocate us in here, right? I mean, what's the point in putting us here if they just kill us off like that..."
     "Because they're tired of us. 'Cause they're done with their little experiment, they got bored of watching us run around, and now they're gonna get rid of us." Ezra said, but that idea got shot down by Minho.
     "No, that's not it. I think this is an extra motivator. See how we react to this."
     Alby groaned, "Let's talk about this later. Minho, find Thomas. You need to go into the Maze, maybe somethin' has changed there as well."
     Minho nodded at Alby, turning to me, mouthing "it's gonna be fine."  I nodded, and he smiled at me before leaving my room.
     Alby looked at me, anger still in his eyes, but without saying another word, he walked away as well, indicating he was done with me for now. The moment he left my room, I sighed heavily, burying my face in my hands. Apparently, my body had been tense the whole time he was here because I could feel my muscles relax.
     "What the hell happened?" Ezra asked me. I just shook my head, keeping my face in my hands as I sat down on the floor.
     "Cally," Ezra mumbled as I felt him sit down beside me.
     "No," I said, my voice muffled by my hands. "Just, leave...."
     "No way, Sister. I'm not going until you tell me what happened." I groaned, looking up at him. "As far as I know. I just woke up by Alby pulling me out of my bed and yelling in my face. You saw the rest."