Chapter Six

After giving their statements Red sent Lorna and Alex home. She walked back into Nicky's room. Nicky was laying on her side. Unsure whether she was awake or not, Red approached her gently, not wanting to startle the girl.

"Nicky honey," she said gently. Nicky rolled over and faced Red. She could tell the girl had been crying, making her face look even more red and painful. Not receiving a response Red decided to talk again.

"So I spoke to the police. I know you didn't want me to do anything but I decided to tell them about what really happened to you. There going to arrest her immediately and I would like you to come and live with me. I have a spare bed and I live on my own so I could use the company," Nicky sat bolt up right. Clearly in discomfort she took a few moments before saying her part.

"Why the hell would you do that? That's my home! Vee looks after me. What am I supposed to do now, and I'm sure as hell not going anywhere with you."

"Please Nicky. Staying with her isn't good for you. She beats you, makes you sell Heroin and clearly doesn't feed you. Please let me look after you."

"No. Go away."

"Please Nicky."

"Go away!" Nicky screamed. Although Red wasn't going to give up, Red decided to give the girl a break and left.

...

Two weeks after her fathers death a young Nicky was watching his coffin go into the ground. As she looked around she noticed several people that she hadn't even met before. Even at a young age Nicky was people smart. She could read everyone that was gathered round. She knew these people didn't really care that her father was dead, they were just there for show. It was only then that Nicky realised her father was never coming back.

Later that evening Marka had a large gathering back at the house. As usual Nicky had been sent upstairs. She sat on her pink bed, which she hated, in tears. She felt completely alone now. He promised her he would be back. She hated him for it. She hated him for dying, she hated him for breaking his promise and she hated him for leaving her with Marka but through it all she just wanted him back.

...

Nicky laid in her hospital bed, thinking about what to do next. She knew she couldn't go back to Vee, she didn't want to go to Red but she also didn't want to live in the streets again. This hospital bed was the most comfortable bed she had been in since she left home. Maybe living with that Russian woman wouldn't be so bad, she began to think before she realised she had probably blown that now. Before she could think of anything else, the door opened again. She expected it to be Red or Lorna but was in shock when she saw Piper, someone she hoped she would never have to see again. Piper walked in steadily and occupied the seat next to Nicky's bed. She took a moment before she began to talk.

"I must say Nicole, I didn't think we would be doing this again."

"What do you want Piper?"

"I need to make sure that you aren't going to cause any trouble for me."

"I don't know what you mean."

"I can't have you around me anymore."

"You broke my heart to you know!" Nicky shouted sitting up. It was only then she realised Red standing in the corner.

"How long have you been here?" She asked panicked.

"Long enough. Piper I think you should leave," Piper got up and stared deep into Red's eyes.

"She's not the innocent one," and with that she left, leaving Red and Nicky on their own. Red took a moment before sitting down on the seat Piper had just been on.

"Care to tell me what that was about?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Please tell me."

"We used to have a thing. But it's over now," Red was taken aback by Nicky's revelation.

"It's not going to be a problem is it?"

"God no. I want nothing to do with her anymore."

"Right," Red began, deciding to move onto another topic.

"Now I would like to ask you again. Please come and stay with me. Even if it's only for a few nights while you recover," Nicky considered what she should say. On one hand she didn't really want to stay with the Russian as she didn't like accepting help but on the other hand, she knew that she couldn't stay on the streets in the condition that she was currently in. It was was also going to be winter soon meaning it would be cold and most likely snow.

"Fine, but only for a few nights," she relented. Red felt and overwhelming sensation of joy, knowing she had succeeded.

"Oh honey, I'm so happy."