Chapter Seven

"And here is your bedroom," declared Red as she gave a battered Nicky a tour of her apartment.

"Are you sure it's no problem?" Asked Nicky, suddenly feeling like she was intruding.

"Positive. Now why don't you take a shower while I make us something nice for dinner?"

"Okay."

"There are fresh towels and flannels in the cupboard under the sink and feel free to use anything you need to in the shower. I'll try to find you some fresh clothing that you can wear tonight. Tomorrow we can go shopping if you like?"

"Thanks," Nicky said sincerely.

"I'll be in the kitchen if you need me. Come and join me after you shower," and with that, Red left Nicky standing slightly overwhelmed in her new bedroom. She took a few moments before going into the bathroom for a shower.

As she let the warm water trickle down her body, she sighed with content. She was carful to avoid any sore points as she scrubbed herself clean. She massaged the lime scented shampoo through her hair before rinsing it out. Then she applied a thin layer of conditioner, leaving it on for a few minutes before one again rinsing it out. She switched the shower off and wrapped her self in a long, fluffy, white towel. It had been a long time since she had, had a shower like that.

Upon entering her bedroom Nicky noticed a pile of clothes neatly folded on the edge of the bed. She smiled. She didn't know why the older woman was helping her out but she appreciated it. She couldn't remember the last time someone had cared about her the way Red seemed to. Even though she aimed to not get too attached and trusting, she felt as if the Russian was genuine. She smiled as she looked down at the clothes. They weren't her style and she thought they would be too big for her, but the gesture made her feel wanted.

...

Red was busy laying the table. She was glad that she had convinced the girl to stay with her for a few days, she just hoped she could get her to stay for longer. She continued to prepare the table. Placing two glasses filled with fresh orange juice next to the plates and cutlery. She looked up as she heard shuffling and then saw Nicky through the doorway.

"Come in honey. Take a seat," Red welcomed. Nicky obliged and sat down. Red walked over with a dish of Chicken and pasta bake, followed by a plate full of garlic bread. Red served Nicky a large portion of pasta bake and some garlic bread.

"This looks delicious. Thanks Red."

"Your very welcome honey."

After eating in silence for a few moments Red looked up at Nicky.

"So what's your story then?"

"My what?" Nicky choked.

"How did you end up living with Vee?"

"I ran away from home at fifteen. I lived with my ex for a while but things turned nasty so I lived on the streets then Vee took me in and then you I guess."

"And why did you run away?"

"She was a rubbish Mother. She was never there. Even though I lived in a big house and have everything materialistically I wanted the only thing I ever really wanted was for my Mum to love me."

"What about your Father?"

"He died when I was young. We were always really close, I guess he made up for my Mum," Nicky said trying to hold in her tears.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry," Nicky shook her head in reply. The two ate in silence again until they had both finished. Red looked back up at Nicky.

"I need you to be honest with me. Are you on drugs?" Nicky nodded, looking down in embarrassment.

"Okay. We're going to get you clean."

"It won't be pretty."

"I know. I want to help you. And I would really like you to stay here, permanently."

"Thank you," Nicky smiled, genuinely grateful for this kind woman.

...

The two were sat on the sofa watching a film. Red looked over and noticed Nicky was asleep. She smiled and pulled the sleeping girl closer to her, kissing her forehead softly.

"I'll look after you," she whispered.