Chapter 1

A/n- Voldemort has just been defeated. Fred Weasley, Lavender Brown, Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks are all still alive.

Everything went still, he'd vanished, just like that. Hemione knew that this silence wouldn't last long and she was right. Cheers erupted around her, people celebrating, congratulating Harry, Ron, Neville, but no one stopped to congratulate her. The brains behind the golden trio.

Except for him, she should despise him, but all she was feeling was the relief, relief that he wasn't dead, that he'd made it even though he had a part in this. He walked up to her and she could tell it took everything that was in him to look her in the eyes. His eyes, were a cool grey, like the clouds of a stormy night and she wondered how she had never noticed how beautiful they were, how easily she could get lost in them.

Hermione expected a sarcastic comment about how, Harry and that blithering idiot Ron, got all the glory... But she could tell from how remorseful and sad his eyes were, that that was not going to happen today.

"Granger..." he looked at her hoping she would notice that his voice was different, filled with regret.

"I'm only going to say this once, you deserve that attention that fucking potty-head and weasel are getting, you were the brains behind it, you always have been-"

"Mal-"

"let me finish" then he smirked, that classic little smirk that even when he was being an intolerable twat she would feel her heart swell a little in her chest.

"don't let this get into your gryfindor brain of your, that I.... wait, fuck what I just said. What I'm trying to say is... thank you, for everything and, and I know you won't be able to forgive me just like that, but at least consider it, because Granger, you've always been worth more than those lunatics your call your friends, and the only reason I treated you like that was.... well lets just say that I wanted to be who everyone talked about but of course I got put in the same year as Harry fucking Potter. Just- I hope you can forgive me?" the last part came out more of a question that a statement and his voice cracked a little.

"of course I will Malfoy" he flinched at the sound of his last name, for a second she couldn't figure out why but then it flooded her, all her thoughts.

His father, Lucius Malfoy, he had brought all this on his family. HE was the one that filled him with those crazy pure-blood/muggle-born thoughts. HE was the one to join the death eaters and endanger his family. She understood, and a tear slipped from her eye.

"I'm so sorry, Draco, so so sorry."

"what for?" his heart jumped a little when she said his first name, she rolled the R just a bit more than others did.

"I'm sorry that he was your father, that he put you through all this-" her voice cracked and she knew she was about to snap, but she couldn't, not just yet, she needed to thank him.

"Granger-"

"no stop, I need to thank you, for second year." she looked him dead in the eye and saw the emotions cross his face on at a time

fear, confusion, happiness and then back to confusion. He shook his head his blond bands just long enough to touch his eyelashes.

"I wanted to help you, I needed to, you didn't deserve it..." the next part was more to himself but, Hermione continued to listen.

"and I, I- I just didn't want what happened to snape happen to me, I didn't want to lose MY muggle-born because of how I had to act around others, and I knew that you saw me in the bookstore, rip out that page from the book, and just hoped you put two and two together...." he trailed off noticing how her eyes had gone wide and that she was still listening.

"Snape? he- he loved Lily and- oh. ohmygod" it all clicked and she understood it, how whenever they crossed in the halls when it was just the two of them he would smile, but whenever he was around someone that would tell his parents...

Malfoy's eyes dropped and swore underneath his breath, that's when she broke, the tears started coming, silent but there and they were falling fast because she's wanted to believe that the way he treated her, was because he felt the same way about her that she did for him.

"Granger, please don't cry, I don't-"

He was cut off by her arms around his neck, and her bushy hair buried into his chest. He waited for a second then put his arms around her, breathing in her hair, green apples, his favourite.

"STUPEFY"

Malfoy dodged it just in time and turned around to see Weasley,

"I swear to Salazar weasel if you try that again-"

"RONALD BILLIUS WEASLY!!!" roared Hermione.

"HOW DARE YOU TRY TO HEX SOMEONE WHEN THEIR BACK IS TURNED!! HOW DARE YOU TRY TO HEX ANYONE RIGHT NOW! DONT YOU THINK WE'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THAT TODAY!!!" she gestured to Hogwarts now in pieces. 

"'Mione-"

"don't you even dare call me that! why would you even try to hex Draco?"

"why?" Ron spluttered "WHY?!! he put his filthy hands on YOU, YOU'RE MINE!!"

Malfoy muttered under his breath "wrong move you fucking imbecile"

A/n- please comment what you think about it. I know it's moving a bit fast but I think it goes with what I plan to do later on.