Chapter 7

It wasn't long until I slipped back into unconsciousness, my body aching in places that I didn't even know were possible. The thought that Lily wouldn't leave my side put both my body and mind at ease and allowed me to get some much needed sleep to repair my damaged body. I slept peacefully for another three days. After three days had passed, a gentle hand on my shoulder shook me carefully, making sure not to disturb my injuries. I opened my eyes to see Lily smiling down at me.

"Chloe, someone is here to ask you some questions, is that okay?" She asked, her voice soft and comforting. I nodded slowly. "Are you feeling up to it?" She asked in an even smaller voice.

"Help me sit up," I told her with a nod. Lily slid her arm around my back and put a hand under my arm, and pulled me up quickly. I winced and she grimaced.

"Sorry." I saw movement behind her and looked around her to see a woman in uniform shifting about uncomfortably on her feet. Noticing that I had seen here she moved closer to my bed side and introduced herself.

"Hi there Chloe. I'm Detective Inspector Erin. I'm here to ask you some questions about attack," I nodded and she proceeded with the questions. "Can you tell me where you got attacked?"

"The alley, next to Maisons butchers."

"That's where I found her," Lily added and the detective inspector shot her a warning glance.

"And do you know what your attacker looked like? Any smells or sounds, anything at all?" I frowned deeply. I never saw the person that attacked me. How very useful.

"No, I'm sorry I never saw him. His voice sounded familiar but I'm struggling to put a a name to the face." I answered truthfully.

"It was a man?"

"Yes."

"Mhmm, and did the man say anything to you?"

"That I deserved what I got and that I was a disgusting lesbian freak." My eyes began to sting as the hurtful and spiteful words flooded back into my memory.

"Can you think of any reason why anybody would want to target you for an attack?" I shook my head, no. Traitorous slipped down my cheeks unchecked and unwanted.
"Thank you for your time, Chloe. Don't hesitate to call if you remember something." She said, sounding bored and very unimpressed with my answers. I imagine she was pissed that she waited so long to speak with me for such a poor response. She handed me a card with her name and number before sauntering out of the room. Probably to go badger some other hospitalized sucker. I collapsed back against my pillows, tears spilling out from my eyes. Lily climbed beside me on my bed and hugged me. My body was tired.

We lay there in silence for some time, I didn't know just how long. Nurses fluttered in and out of my room, changing my IV and prodding at my cuts and bruises. It wasn't until one of the nurses asked if Lily was okay did I realise she was crying.

"Lily, don't cry. Please." I ran my fingers along her tear stained cheek. She only cried harder.

"This is all my fault. You wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me." She sobbed.

"This isn't your fault. If people think this will make me not want to be with you then they have been sadly misled. I'm just glad this.happened to me and not you." I admitted. "Now stop crying or you're going to make me cry." I hugged her tighter. It was my turn to comfort her. I was glad it was me on the receiving end of the attack. I wasn't sure I could live with myself if I let anything happen to her. I guess that's how Lily must feel about me. These people were my enemies, not hers. I swore to myself that I wouldn't let anything happen to her.

After a few days, the hospital discharged me. I was given crutches and told I could return to school as soon as I saw fit to do so. I wanted to return as soon as possible so I gave myself a days bed rest and returned the next day. My mobile phone had been turned of from the moment I entered the hospital and was only turned back on when I returned home. I was shocked to find over forty messages from Ally and one hundred odd missed calls. I thought it would be best to call her. She answered almost immediately.

"Where the hell have you been? I have been trying to get you for nearly a week! Your family wouldn't even tell me where.you were!" She growled.

"I've been in hospital."

"You've been where?" She breathed. I told her what had happened, the whole story, from kissing Lily right the way though to the hospital finally discharging me. I could hear Ally forcing back sobs as she listened intently. "Fuck, you should have told me. I would have come see you. I would have brought cake," she laughed trying to cover up the fact she was crying. Ally didn't cry.

"I know and I'm sorry. I'll be back to school tomorrow. I'll meet you by the lake as usual."

"Okay, jeez. Just take care of yourself, right? Because I don't think I can handle the worry of that again. See you, Chloe." The phone went dead at that. I slumped back onto my bed. My family had ignored me from the moment I entered the house. They didn't even try to help me get up the stairs in my crutches. That's what families are for, eh?