Chapter 17

Lily never left my side. She stayed with me the entire time I was in hospital, tending to my needs. I felt helpless but there wasn't much I could do in my state. It was fairly late on in the afternoon and Lily and I were lying on my hospital bed, just enjoying each others company. The room was silent, but it wasn't awkward. Nothing ever felt awkward with her around.

“Lily?” I whispered.

“Yeah?”

“Thank you,” I said gratefully.

“You don't need to thank me. I know if the tables were reversed. You would have done the same for me,” she told me.

“You know I would.” She placed her lips against the bandage on my head. I smiled and leant back against her, forgetting about the horrible events that had recently come to light.

“I love you, Lily.”

“I love you too.” I looked up to her, and found her lips. How wonderful it felt to have her by my side once more. I cupped her face gently as our lips moved in sync with one another. I had missed her kiss, and her touch. At that moment I felt safe. Lily pulled back, and looked at me with a more serious expression. “I just have to ask you something, and I want you to tell the truth.”

“I will,” I promised.

“Did you still have feelings for Kyle before all this stuff happened?” She asked, sounding quite hurt. I thought about it for a moment before I answered.

“I did, but it's not like how you would think. He was the first person I had ever fallen in love with but he broke my heart. Although I got over him, there was still something there that just gave me a reminder of him. It was nothing more than that.” I told her sincerely.

“I understand what you mean, thank you for being honest.” Her face softened.

“I'm scared,” I confessed. “I'm scared of what will happen when Kyle gets out.”

“That will be a long time into the future but when he gets out, you won't be alone. I'll look after you. We'll get through it. We'll keep each other safe.” Then she carried on with our kiss, and my worries subsided, as my heart lost itself in the moment.