Chapter 1

Would you like more oil mistress?" Grisha asked

Her face has small beads of sweat due to the heat of the room and the steam from the tub.

"Just the honey wash please." I motioned in the vague direction of the various oils and washes that lined the shelves.

She handed me the honey wash as she spoke.

"Yes Mistress, I will also fetch the robe."

Grish lifted herself from the floor and disappeared from the room.

I turned my attention from her to the large open section of the wall right across from me. The Wall led to a small balcony that overlooked the vast mountainside.

It was stunning, to say the least, it always amazed me. The city below was bright and vibrant seemingly at all hours. It made for a view few could even dream of enjoying, but it all felt so bittersweet. The joy was tainted by my less-than-ideal circumstances.

The night air was chilly and goosebumps raised on the exposed flesh of my shoulders and neck, but I kept the doors open. I liked the feeling of the chilly air contrasting with the hot water. It forced me to feel something.

I saw Grisha return from the corner of my eyes. She sat back on her stool and started to pour a small amount of the liquid into my hair. The honey scent wafted into my nose, it was relaxing. I let Grisha run her delicate fingers through my thick curly locks. She hummed as she worked the knots and grime from my dark hair.

"Mistress, are you sure you do not wish to make an appearance at the celebration?" Grisha asked

I found out rather harshly that the king's birthday celebration was today.

I had come from a trip to the city of Aldnora to visit family. I stayed there for a week or so, no one bothering to inquire about my whereabouts. The city was at least a day's journey from the palace.

As I returned to the palace, I noticed the decorations leading down the pathway and up the front steps to the palace. Carriages lined the front of the castle and I could hear people laughing and talking and the sound of music from the ballroom.

The guards upon recognizing me immediately bowed and offered to announce me. I quickly refused them and went around a back way. I managed to stick to the walls and sneak to a servant's entrance, which wasn't hard considering the occasion. I slowly opened the door and peeked inside. A celebration was in full swing, one I did not know about.

Right across from me I could see the King. He was smiling widely, his eyes turning into little crescents, he was as handsome as ever. He was surrounded by his harem. A group of the kingdom's most beautiful men. These men ranged in appearance, but they all had one thing in common, their love for each other and the King they serve.

"I wished you would have stayed another day." I heard Grisha say, filling the silence of the room.

"It is as expected Grisha, I am a newcomer. The last to join the harem, besides the King is not fond of women." I answered sinking further into the tub.

"It does not matter mistress you are still a part of the harem it is seen as a slight against you if he does not even bother to inform you." Grisha tried

Surprisingly the discovery did not hurt me as much as I thought it would. It has been like this since I first arrived at the palace. Once we married, I was mostly left to my own devices. They would spend almost every waking moment together, the King and his harem. Afternoon tea in the garden, dinner in the city, a day at the springs; yet I was never invited to any of them. The King had never even consummated our marriage.