Chapter 34

Ari

"This is a pile of hogshit!" I yelled furiously.

The group of grossly incompetent and idiotic men before me stared in shock.

"Your majesty-" One of them tried

"Do not speak!" I interrupted

"You are all fools if you believe such a plan would work! This strategy will get our soldiers killed." I yelled

"Your majesty maybe it is best we discuss this later, once you have calmed," Tori suggested resting his hand on my arm.

"We can reconvene in a few hours, yes?" Erin suggested

I still did not fully trust the man. He was a spitting image of Allayna and that is the only reason I haven't strung him up and interrogated him. He was hiding something I could tell.

I sighed loudly before waving my hand demanding everyone else leave.

"I can grab Allon and Mir if you wish," Tori suggested

"No, it's fine. They are busy I do not want them to be worried." I answered

Tori smiled softly at me before climbing into my lap and laying his head on my shoulder.

"I think I'm scared," Tori revealed

I was shocked by that. Tori was afraid of nothing. So much so that I was starting to wonder if he knew what fear was.

"What makes you say that?" I wondered

"I feel anxious I suppose. Almost as if the end is near." He stated snuggling his face into the crook of my neck

I soothingly ran my fingertips lightly across his back.

"The real fight has not begun Tori. If we do this right we might not even have to continue this pointless war." I encouraged

"It isn't the war I am worried about," Tori said cryptically.

We stayed like that for a few moments longer before we were interrupted.

"Your majesty you must come and see this." The soldier prompted

I sighed and followed him Tori right behind me. We noticed the commotion on the edge of the camp. Erinai was already there talking with another soldier.

On the ground at their feet was another soldier. He was being treated by our medics, but it was clear he was not going to make it.

"What happened here?" I asked rushing over.

"Your majesty." Erin and the soldier greeted both bowing low.

"He came running up to me half dead screaming about an ambush, it was hard to understand him. " The solider explained

"Looks to be from one of the scouting units we went out a few days ago," Tori whispered

"This is bad." I groaned

Allayna

The dark and damp tunnel was daunting, but I tried not to worry. Koren seemed to know where he was going.

I was honestly surprised when he jumped from seemingly nowhere. I was glad as well, A bad feeling started to overcome me even before I noticed the smoke.

"Where are we going, Koren?" Prish asked

He was somewhere in front of me, but I was unsure how far. All I could see was Grisha directly in front. I could feel Elo gripping my dress from the back, but that was all.

"Not much further down this way leads to the middle," Koren stated

My dress was becoming more and more cumbersome as he went. I could feel the bottom getting soaked due to whatever was wet on the ground.