Night Rain

(Author's note: This chapter contains violence. Please be careful reading if this makes you at all uncomfortable. Thank you and enjoy!)

Though we lay

Face to face

And cheek to cheek

Our voices stray

From common ground where they could meet

The walls run high

To veil a swelling tear

Let the walls burn down

Set your secrets free

You can break their bounds

'Cause you're safe with me

You can lose your doubt

'Cause you'll find no danger here

- Talk To Me/Stevie Nicks

-

Ugh, just how much sleep did you get last night?! Practically next to none...

In fact, you'd spent the majority of the night attempting to sleep, then opening your eyes ten minutes later and punching your pillow in frustration. This continued for several hours, well into the small hours, although it felt like an insane amount longer. It seemed as though the sleep gods had put a curse on you, just so they could toy with you for their own entertainment. Not that you found it funny. Not one bit.

You simply couldn't turn your brain off, not even for eight hours. Thoughts racing, here, there, and everywhere. Whenever you subconsciously opened your eyes, you'd sharply huff, and hiss out a muffled "fuck's sake" into your pillow. Then you'd roll over into a different position and huff, only for this to happen again and again until you'd probably blown out enough air to move mountains. Fortunately, you weren't loud enough to wake your parents up, because if you did, it would've made your night much more disastrous.

But the point was, you barely slept a wink last night, a couple of hours at most.

And why was that?

Him.

It was him.

Yamaguchi Tadashi, of Class 4.

That tall boy with freckles that looked like scattered stars, with long hair and a flyaway piece that bounced when he walked. The boy whose eyes sparkled when he talked, the boy whose smile could lighten the darkest room.

The boy you were in love with.

Well, it may have been a little to early to assume it was love. But you had a handful of reasons to believe it could possibly be so:

First off, he was inside your mind almost 24/7! If you didn't have a crush on him, why else would you be thinking about him so much? Very few people would have a particular person ingrained in their heads for no apparent reason. Sometimes you just imagined his face, content and smiling. Other times, you imagined the both of you talking - not necessarily about anything in particular, just exchanging words between yourselves. Even if you didn't understand what he was saying, you still found yourself practically mesmerised by the words he spoke. 

Sometimes, you'd even imagine being...intimate. With him. Not 'intimate' as in, doing things that kids your age shouldn't be doing, but instead, it was things like hugging each other. No awkwardness - it was like you were meant to be doing it. Your head would be on his muscular chest, honed by months of volleyball training. You could hear his steady heartbeat, pulsing in a stable rhythm; ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum. One of his arms would be around your waist and bent at the elbow, so that his hand could rest on your shoulder blade, and his fingertips could curl slightly over your shoulder. His other hand would be gently resting on the back of your head, his thumb rubbing small circles in your hair. He'd have his nose buried in your hair, considering he was several inches taller than yourself. It was just so peaceful and perfect, you couldn't help but want to sigh in content.