Eight

Mikasa

The days were shorting as the nights grew colder. The season of winter draws near and there were still no signs of a sanctuary for our tribe. Throughout our long journey, we've stumbled across deserted villages and maimed bodies. These areas were made sure to be marked off. 

"Let's take a break," Jean suggested noticing his mate supporting himself on a nearby tree. We've been walking nonstop since we woke up earlier that morning so it was understandable to see why the tall boy was tired.

Jean helps Marco take a seat underneath a tree and wrapped an arm around his shoulders to provide him warmth. Annie takes a seat beside the couple as well but close enough to gain warmth and far away not to invade their space. I sat on the opposite side and pulled out the mage to figure out where we were headed. I sighed seeing the X's almost forming a perfect circle. Well isn't this just fantastic? Rolling up the map I take out the waterskin from my sack and took a swing before handing it to Jean letting him and the other drink. 

While we rested I laid my head against the cool bark and stared up at the noon sky. The sky was no longer its bright blue and sun hid behind the soft light grey clouds. I couldn't help but let my mind wander to my brother and wonder what he was up to. Probably bored out his mind taking care of that Omega. I hadn't the slight idea of why he would randomly take in a stray with a pup. A growl rumbled from my chest causing Jean to jump and ease back to shield his mate.

"Sorry," I mumbled not really feeling too sorry.

Marco peeked over his make with the expression of worry on his face." Mikasa, what is the matter?"

" Nothing Marco I'm fine," I replied waving his concern away. 

Marco opened his mouth but Jean only shook his head and took him by the hand." We'll go on ahead," With that Jean lead his mate further into the forest. No doubt to get away from my sour smell of angry alpha.

As I agonized myself of the thought of my brother becoming "something" with a strange omega I failed to notice Annie slowly inching closer to me. I jerked when I felt the bareness of her shoulders bumping into my own. She doesn't look me in eye when she states that she's cold. The beta sat silently next to me for a few moments before breaking the ice.

"You're thinking about Eren aren't you?" She deadpans.

I turned my head so fast that I crack the stiffness out of my neck. Was I that obvious? Not many can see past the facade I hold up with an iron fist but Annie somehow always found a way to peek over my imaginary wall. I nodded not trusting my voice. She hummed. "You're in love with him," It came out more as a statement than a question. Again I nodded.

Even though Eren and I are not blood-related, it is frowned upon to feel such emotion other than sisterly love. The love I felt is deeper than the ocean depths and higher than the tallest mountains. Eren was more than my protector on that dreadful day, he was my first, and forever still, love. Since that day I swore to myself and the gods that I would be stronger for the both of us and become the perfect mate Eren would be fortunate to claim. Even so, Eren only saw me as a sister.

"Then tell him," I stared down at the blond as if she grew a second head. She rolled her eyes. "Keeping your feelings in the dark is not healthy for neither Eren or you. The more you try to pretend that you're fine you'll only harm the existing relationship you have."

"But wouldn't revealing my true feeling still ruin it? I can't risk that!" I yelled.

Annie stared straight into my eyes as if looking deep into my soul. "Then I guess your feelings aren't so true. Do you really believe Eren would push you away from revealing your heart to him?"

My heart ached at her words because they rung true. Eren wouldn't turn me away with a cold shoulder. In fact knowing how dense the boy is he'd probably reply with "I love you too, sis," and a light fist bump to the shoulder. I should be grateful to even be in any type of relationship with him.

"Hey, guys we found something!" Jean's voice rang through the forest.

Annie swiftly stands onto her feet and walks away. "It's your choice, Mikasa,"

I sat there in to contemplate her words further until Marco called out to me. I had to make a choice and get past the fear of losing Eren forever.

I approached my tribemates "What is-" they stood at the entry of a tunnel leading underground. It was well hidden behind a sea of thick bushes and trees, almost invisible to the untrained eye. The entry was wide enough to fill three bulking warriors but too small for raging rouges to crawl through. Jean leads us through the tunnel until we were in a wide opening of a cavern. The cavern is wide enough to house our whole make and few others. There were areas to build houses, storage units and on the surfaces probably a garden for crops.

I smiled widely. "We've found our sanctuary," at last.