Chapter II

I woke up, sweat dripping down my body. I had a nightmare about Ana. It was horrible. I saw the kidnapper kill her in front of my own eyes. I tried to calm myself down by doing the breathing exercises Doc told me to do.

New message from Anonymous.

Grabbing my phone that was next to me, I looked at the message.

Anonymous: We will speak here from now on. I'm sure you know who I am, right? Or are you that pathetic that you don't even know me anymore?

Me: Just tell me what you want.

Anonymous: That'll take away the fun. Won't it? I just have a few riddled for you. If you can answer them, Ana lives. If you can't, Ana dies.

Me: Okay, okay. I'll play your stupid games. Just don't hurt Ana.

Anonymous: Okay. Ready? Here's the first riddle. It's an easy one. Well, for me at least. It can not be seen whenever it's there. It fills up a room, it's much like the air. It can not be touched, there's nothing to hear. It is quite harmless, there's nothing to fear.

I put down my phone and looked around my dark room. I couldn't see much in the darkness. I tried to think but all I could think about was hwo silent it was in my room. Wait.

It can not be seen whenever it's there. Darkness. It fills up a room, it's much like the air. Darkness. It can not be touched, there's nothing to hear. Darkness. It is quite harmless, there's nothing to fear. Darkness.

I quickly grabbed my phone and texted back.

Me: Darkness

I got no response for a few minutes so I got out of my bed and got dressed. I went downstairs and looked out the window. The sun was shinning bright as bird happily fluttered around. The only thing that was dark were the shadows of the tall trees on the bright green grass.

They seemed oddly out of place for some reason.

New message from Anonymous.

Anonymous: Yes. You're more clever than I thought. Okay, next one. They follow and lead, but only as you pass. Dress yourself in darkest black, and they are darker still. Always they flee the light, though without the sun there would be none.

Fuck! I was sick of these fucking stupid games, but I had to play them in order to get Ana back. He would actually kill her for real.

I looked back out the window. The birds were gone and it looked like it was about to rain. Did I imagine the good weather? The grass was dark green. The shadows were gone.

Me: Shadows.

Anonymous: Yes, clever. Oh, Ana is waiting for me. I have to go. You kept her alive. Well done.

I sighed. What was I supposed to do? Just play the kidnapper's little games? Should I go to the police? No, he will kill Ana.

Anonymous: I'll tell you more tomorrow. Gotta feed little Ana.

I sighed.

Message from Doc.

Doc: Hello, Lyndsey. I'm just texting to see how you're doing. Is the medication working?

Me: Hello, Doc. I'm not doing great. I don't think the medication is working. I've been seeing some hallucinations and I've been forgetting a lot of stuff again.

Doc: That's unfortunate. Are you stressed or is something going. Maybe I can help.

Me: I don't really know how to say this but Ana has been abducted. I don't know where she is and I've been talking to her abductor.

Doc: Oh no! I don't know what to say. I'm sorry. The best thing to do is just follow the abductor's orders and listen to him very carefully. Don't make him mad. We shouldn't call the police.

Me: Thanks for the advice Doc.

Doc: No problem. That's what I'm here for. Don't forget that we have an appointment next friday. We'll see what we can do with your medication then.

Me: I won't forget. Thanks again, Doc.

Doc: No problem. If you have any problems you can always count on me. I'll see you next friday.

I thought about the first session that I had with my doctor. I couldn't  remember that much anymore. We did some tests and he asked about my life and my friends.

He did ask a lot about Ana. Could that be just a coincidence or what? What if he's the kidnapper?

I decided to text Christine. I still needed to tell her about what's going on with Ana.

Me: Hey, Christine. I know what happened with Ana.

Christine: Oh! Is she okay?

Me: Someone abducted her. Please, don't call the police. He said that if we do, he'll kill her.

Christine: What? Is this some kind of sick joke. Please, tell me you're joking.

Me: No! I would never joke about this, Christine! Ana really has been abducted and I don't know what to do.

Christine: Sorry. We just have to stay calm. We'll find a solution. We'll get her back soon.

Me: I hope so.

I put my phone down and decided to just watch a movie to get my thoughts of everything. As I was watching I couldn't keep my eyes open even though I just woke up. I slowly drifted of to sleep.

I was standing in a room. All I could see was darkness. Suddenly there was light. It blinded me for a second. I felt a hand on my shoulder and quickly turned around. Ana was standing there. I gasped and leaned in to hug her when she just disappeared. What? That was weird. What is going on?

I felt another tap on my shoulder and turned around again. Ana was there again. I brought my hand up to touch her face when she just disappeared again. I started to panic. I turned around again and saw Ana standing there with a hooded person next to her.

The person had a knife in their hand. They raised the knife and held it against Ana's neck.

As I yelled and reached out to Ana, I opened my eyes. I was in my room. Safe.

Hey guys! Thank you for reading this! I hope you enjoyed this!

~Kvrstvn