Fresh

Emily Fields breathed in the air. It was like hay and cow pats mixed in which was gross, but hay was just fine; neutral but still a familiar scent to it.
'Emily!' Her mom, Pam, was a good woman, but at first had a hard time accepting Emily for who she was; gay and proud. Now the two of them were even closer than before.
'Coming,' Emily replied.
She sauntered in casually and her mom was obviously going to tell her something important. She had that expression on her face; the one that said 'is there something we need to discuss'. It had an element of knowing, but not smugly.
And then she saw her dad.
A feeling of great joy overwhelmed her, but as she crossed her kitchen, she felt confused. He wasn't due back in three months! I mean, this is a loving and sensible family but knowing her dad, Emily was sure her dad wouldn't purposely sabotage his career to see his family for a few days.
'Hey, I thought-                                           'They dismissed me early,' his smile sent shivers down Emily's spine.
'Why...?,' she questioned.
'It's ok,' her dad explained. 'They said I should have a break. And here I am!'
'Your father and I decided to go out to dinner to catch up. And that leaves tomorrow to you both to go shopping and do some catching up of your own. Sound like a deal?' Pam liked to make situations seem less complicated, but Emily felt like her parents were almost conspiring secretly.
'Yeah. Sounds great. When are you leaving?' She asked curiously.
'We thought that we could leave around three, if that's ok?'
'Yeah. Whatever.' She bustled past her parents and bounded upstairs to her bedroom.