Cancer {Chapter 48}

Carrie Ann: It was three days before Luke and I’s wedding. I was so excited to be marrying my man of my dreams. Luke seemed excited, I was married before, so I knew most of the stuff, but we were really poor, so I didn’t have a great wedding. LeClaire rented a Cabin two days ago, and she is sharing it with Tommy, so I hope they are getting along. Luke has been worried. Maggie and Charlie got out two days ago, and are coming tomorrow. Tonight is Luke and I’s last night together. He is leaving with Charlie to get a hotel downtown. Maggie was bringing a wedding dress, she said it’s perfect, so I believe her. Kelly was coming today with the kids, and staying with Tommy and LeClaire. So maybe no fussing there. Luke came strutting in, he had found a job, and been working, to me no avail. He gets the rest of the week off of course. I fixed him steak and potatoes and we sat down to eat. He looked so tired. He was doing something for music, I still hadn’t quite understood. But $300.00 a week is fine by me, and he seemed to like it better than Peanut farming.

Luke: I loved this new job, I loved working with music period. It’s amazing learnin’ all this stuff. I have walked in the door every night for two weeks, finding my supper on the table, and my wife looking beautiful as ever. Well “wife to be”, but she was my wife months ago. She was so excited for this wedding. Frankly I am nervous, I have never been married before! I don’t know what to do! I shook it off, to find it always creeping back in my thoughts. Tonight’s supper was steak and potatoes, my girl could cook! I will tell you what! “So do you want to go to LeClaire and Tommy’s cabin tonight? To see Kelly before the big day?” “Sure why not?” I have missed my mama and I couldn’t get enough of my family- divorcing or not. Jordan was a little kid, so she’s being our flower girl. Kelly said she was super excited. I loved Jordan to death, I just wish I could spend more time with her.

Luke: After we finished Dinner, Carrie Ann changed out of her sweatpants into jeans, and we left. By this time, we had found Carrie Ann a little pickup truck, I couldn’t care less for it- a Ford, but she loved it so it’s whatever. But we took it to see Kelly, she loved driving it. So she drove it, and I sat in the passenger’s side. It was about 7:30 when we pulled in. Kelly’s car was parked in the driveway. The front door opened as I shut the truck door. Jordan came toddling down the step “Unc Luke! Unc Luke!” I picked her up and kissed her cheeks. She slapped my cheeks and rubbed her nose against mine. “Come See Unc Luke!” “Okay!” Carrie Ann followed behind and Jordan drug me to the living room, she pointed to the fire place. “Deer!” there was a Buck mounted on the fire place. “Yeah Jordan! That’s great!” She giggled and ran off into one of the bedrooms. Carrie Ann and Kelly had already started talking. So I went to talk to mama, due to daddy knocked out with a bud in his hand. “Hey Mama!” I pecked her cheek, she was washing dishes. She turned to me, tears streaming down her face. “Mama! What’s wrong?!”

Carrie Ann: I had hit up conversation with Kelly immediately, hugging and talking wedding talk we went to her bedroom- where Luke couldn’t hear. “Maggie is bringing the dress right?” “Yes. She says it’s perfect.” “She’s coming tomorrow?” “Yes.” “Okay tomorrow, Luke needs to leave by 10:00. Because I am coming over, and Jordan is staying here with Mama and Daddy. It’s your Bachelorette party girl! Drinking and all sorts of fun!” “Well does LeClaire want to come?” “Yeah. She probably does, I don’t know about Jordan…” she sadly said. “What about your husband?” “Going out with Luke.” “How about this… you bring Jordan, and we can put her in our guest bedroom upstairs. I don’t mind Jordan at all!” “Yeah! She will fall asleep early. This is the latest she has stayed up in a while. She’s just so excited.” This was heartwarming, I loved Jordan, she was a gorgeous little girl, and loved her uncle Luke. I was so excited for tomorrow!

Luke: I drug Mama to the dining room table. “Mama. Sit down.” She sat and held my hand, “Luke, Baby.” “Yes Mama.” “I am so proud of you.” She started crying harder, “And I know Chris would be too.” “Thanks Mama. But why all the tears?” “My baby Luke has grown up! A part of me wished you never found love. And was always mine!” she laughed, “But I know Carrie Ann is meant for you baby. I love her to death. I just can’t believe you’re getting married- in two days!” She hugged me and kissed my cheek. “Now let me wash these dishes.” She laughed and wiped her face, then walked back to the sink, and started washing. There was something she wasn’t telling me. I couldn’t figure out what is was. “Mama.” “Yes baby?” “It’s something else isn’t it.” “What? No.” She kept her back turned. I walked up, and pulled her shoulder towards me, she fell into my arms. “Oh Luke Baby, it’s bad.” She sobbed. “Well what is it Mama? Tell me.”

Carrie Ann: Kelly and I continued to talk, and stopped when Kelly heard Jordan making a racket in the bathroom. “What is that girl up to?” she walked into the bathroom. And I stood in the hall. I walked back into the hall, and stood outside the bathroom. “What did she do?” “Umm.” She stepped out of the way. Jordan had lipstick and mascara all over here. I giggled, “Well Jordan! You’re already pretty! What did you do this for?” She laughed, “I wanna look like mommy!” She laughed. I wanted children so bad, I wish for it so much, I would love to have them. “I am going wash her. So…” “Okay! I will go back and find Luke.” I walked back in search for Luke. I started to walk back into the kitchen, stopping seeing Luke and LeClaire sobbing together on the floor. "Oh Mama is it true?” What is going on?

Luke: “Luke. It’s bad. I still need to tell Kelly. I can’t hold this in anymore.” Her tears soaked my shirt. “Well Mama tell me.” “Luke,” she wiped off my shirt and grabbed my cheeks, putting her finger over my lips, “You cannot repeat this to anyone, not yet.” “Tell me.” “Luke- it’s cancer. I might have breast cancer.” She began to sob, as well did I. Mama went down, I went with her. I sobbed into her shoulder, her into my chest. “Mama- Mama.” “Baby. I will get through this. I swear it.” We continued to sob, and speak words to each other. She has a lump, the doctor believes it is cancer. But is unsure- but mostly sure it is. That’s when we started to pray. And I felt arms wrap around us. I looked up, Carrie Ann’s blue eyes stared back, tears filled.