015

Friday night

"God, if I wasn't working a double tonight, you know I'd be coming with," Lara told me on the phone as I got ready in my room.

"I'm on break, in this corner table, watching high schoolers kiss from the same side of the booth and watching old couples share milkshakes, while I eat a plate of cheese fries by myself."

"Mmm cheese fries. I'm jealous already," I said into the speakerphone on my desk, testing a shade of lipstick that I wiped off immediately with a tissue.

I'd been freaking out, just a little. Who else would be there? Just his friends? Other...famous people? And what the hell would I wear? Was it a better impression to be overdressed or underdressed? Did it matter what I wear?

It could just end up on his bedroom floor...

I tried to shake off those thoughts as best as I could. I wondered if it was even worth going at all, and then I remembered how I pretty much only have Lara right now; most of our close college friends moved out of the city after graduating. I have Rosie at work. And then the regular customers whose drinks I have memorized. So at least this is something.

Eventually I decided on a loose, black open-shouldered sweater and high-waisted grey jeans. Then I'm knocking at his front door, being reminded of the last time I was here.

I hear voices behind the door, followed by Timothée's familiar voice - "coming!" - and the door being pulled open.

He's warm and inviting in his doorway, leaning against the frame. And his familiar smirk. "Hey."

"Hey."

"Started to think maybe you wouldn't show." He continues to grin, and I catch his eyes quickly looking me up and down.

"Guess you got lucky then."

My words have hit a button, and he stands there for a moment, simply looking at me with that adorable, sexy smirk.

"Can I come in?"

"Oh. Right. Sorry." A blush washes through his face as he holds the door. I walk in and hear voices and laughter from the living room.

As I'm walking past his kitchen and emerging into the living room, he tugs at my hair teasingly, his hand resting on the small of my back.

"Guys, this is Marley."

The facial recognition sets in as I recognize the people in Timothée's living room. [REDACTED] and Violetta sit next to each other on the couch. Lucas Hedges stands by a record player by the wall, holding a plastic red cup and a bottle of Hennessy. Several liquor bottles and beer cans adorn the coffee table.

"Hey!" they remark simultaneously. I say hello back, the awkwardness oozing from my pores as I offer a small wave.

"So you're Marley," says [REDACTED], gesturing towards me with his red cup. "Heard lots about you."

Before I can respond, Lucas reaches for an empty cup and holds it in the air, gesturing towards me. "The famous Marley. Liquor or beer? Trick question, the answer is liquor," he says, pouring straight Hennessy into the cup and holding it out to me.

"Well, thank you very much," I respond with exaggerated courtesy, taking the cup from him. I turn and see that Timothée's doing the thing where his hand is behind his head, rummaging through his curls.

Lucas downs the rest of his drink like it's water.

"Come here!" Violetta pats the spot next to her on the couch, pulling her legs up. "Finally, another girl."

**********

11/6/2020 EDIT: the [REDACTED] you'll see was originally ans*l elg*rt (as i began writing this in 2018), and obviously i cannot support the allegations that have arisen this year. had to do some quick rewriting to take his name out, and will hopefully write someone else in his place!