Chapter 13

1991
"Where are you all going?" I ask. My sisters are carrying large suitcases on their backs. Estonia and Latvia also have suitcases. "Ivan, we are leaving." Katyusha replies. "Indeed. We have decided to leave the Soviet Union. We cannot stay here any longer, dear brother." Natalia adds. "W-What? No. You're not leaving! You're my family! You can't leave!" I shout. "Mr. Russia, it's true. We've decided, all of us, to disband the Soviet Union. 'Tis our time." Estonia says. "Sorry, dear brother. Goodbye, we love you." They all turn their backs on me. Everything around me suddenly turns black. I only seem them, and a bright light. They begin to walk towards the bright light. One by one, they start to disappear into the brightness. I drop to my knees. "NO! YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!" I scream, tears forming in the corners of my eyes. My eldest sister, Katyusha, turns around. I reach out to her. "Please, dear sister. 'Tis not your time to leave me. Stay with me."

She gives me warm, sad eyes. It only takes her a step before Natalia grabs her arm. "Come on, Katyusha. We cannot stay with the fallen any longer." She looks at me, then Natalia. She closes her eyes. I notice tears run down her pale cheeks. "I'm sorry, Ivan. Consider us Independent from the Russian rule." Just as before, they all turn away from me and disappear into the light. I let my arm fall, knowing I have no one whom to save. No one whom to stay with me. I bury my face in my hands and cry. I lost them. I lost my family. I lost my friends.

I even lost my boyfriend.

Oh, Alfred. My dear, Alfred. Talk some sense to me, Alfred. Let me know everything is going to be okay...