Chapter One

I drag my stuff into an empty compartment and sit down. I hoped Lily would hurry up. She was my best friend at hogwarts. Alice Prewett and Marlene McKinnon were also our fellow Gryffindors. They also were kind enough to accept me the way Lily had.

My mother had left me a fair amount of money before she died. She died in my first year. She was disowned by her family for having a child out of wedlock. They didn't know that she couldn't marry him. You see, greek gods don't often marry the humans they hook up with. Especially the Gods who are already married.

Devoleena Patil, my mother, fell in love with my father, the great lord Poseidon when she was eighteen and was staying by a beach with her friends. She knew about him. She was one of those rare mortals who could see through the mist. But she took the chance anyway, knowing that there was no way they could be together. But it was actually hard to hate my dad, knowing that my mother loved him till her last breath. He's sort of a nice guy. I always went to Camp Half blood in the summers before I started Hogwarts and now on a permanent basis that's my home. But it's too much commute so I often stay at one of my father's beach resorts or cruise ships. When you are a kid of the sea god, that is seriously easy.

The compartment door slides open. Lily Evans, Alice Prewett and Marlene McKinnon steps in.

"Daria Brizo Patil, how come I never got a single letter?" Lily glares at me and crosses her hands in front her chest.

"All the letters we sent just came back!" Alice and Marlene looks unhappy with me.

'I was staying underwater, ma'am'

"I am sorry dear. I was really getting frustrated. I was staying in a coastal are but now we can speak" I gesture them to the seats.

They are appeased as they sit. This is what I love about my friends, they are really forgiving.
Lily starts talking about her sister  Petunia who apparently calls her a freak.
"She's the freak. Anyone of us would have killed to have you for a sister" I say angrily. Marlene and Alice nod.

"You could have came with me, you know. Mum and Dad would let me bring along a friend" Lily admonished.

"Or with me" Alice said.
"My cousin Molly would have given us makeovers and we could have had so much fun"

"Or me. My parents took my sister and I to France. It was really good. She had brought a friend and I couldn't take anyone because you couldn't come, Lily had to go to her grandparents and Alice was visiting her cousins" Marlene complained.

My friends never question me about where I stay during vacation or about my dad because they know that the topic makes me feel uncomfortable. Another thing I love about them.

The compartment door slides open again and James Potter steps in.

"Evans, darling don't you look gorgeous?" he drawled arrogantly.

Lily looks like she would like to kick him in the face. My heart starts beating faster, if Potter was here that meant he was around here somewhere too. They were never apart.

Right on cue, the Hogwarts heartthrob, notoriously handsome Sirius Black steps into the compartment.

"Get out, both of you, right now!!!" Lily snarled.

Alice too, had stood up. "You have some nerve coming here, after what both of you did to Ria last year"

Marlene hisses with indignation.

Me, I try very hard not to cry with the memories of the Christmas Ball. I look towards the window, to the fast moving landscape. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Black and Potter noticing that I am in the compartment.

"Come on Evans, she was asking for it. Why would she even think that someone like Sirius would take a loser like her to the ball as their date?" James asked.

Sirius rolled his eyes.

Lily seethed. "Get out now. Before I do something I regret" she had her wand out.

"Chill Evans, just leaving! See you around loser. If we ever find a single hippogriff we'll set you up" James chortled while leaving.

As the compartment door shut, I felt the tears of humiliation escape from my eyes.

The girls surrounded me in seconds. Lily pulled my head into her lap, Alice sat down beside me and started patting my back while Marlene kneeled down and wiped my tears away.

I remembered how the marauders used to bully me everyday. Then last year I was assigned to be potions partner with Sirius Black. He was insufferable as usual and started ruining our work. Once I complained to Professor Slughorn and he landed in detention. Then onwards he and Potter was nicer to me. Pettigrew did whatever they did so he too was nice. Lupin used to be always polite but he had become downright friendly. Then Sirius started becoming more and more friendly towards me. I used to talk to him for long periods of time. I started crushing on him and when he asked me to the Christmas ball I said yes. On the night of the ball he stood me up in front of the whole school by bringing Christa Blythe, in the year above us, as his real date. I had burst into tears in front of the whole school and people were taunting me real bad. I had braces and huge glasses. I always wore my hair in a braid that was folded due to the length. But I knew I wasn't ugly. Well not disgusting to look at anyway. But I had almost become friends with them. I don't understand how they could have been so cruel, crushing me like that. All just because I got Black a single detention. It is not like they don't land themselves in detentions all the time. Besides I have to stop accidentally referring to them by their first names. That part was only a dream which will never happen.

"You're really pretty, you know.... I know you think you are ugly but in fact you are one of the prettiest girls I know" Lily said softly.

I appreciated her efforts to cheer me up but I didn't believe her.

My friends kept on trying to cheer me up and talked about gossip throughout the journey. I slowly dozed off.