Chapter Three

Third person pov

The first day back is always exciting. No matter which school it is. At Hogwarts it was no different. The fourth year Gryffindor girls were really excited to start the new academic year. Lily spun Ria around.

"I'm going to make you look like Indian barbie" she declared, getting hold of her long locks and smoothly brushing them.

"I'm only half Indian. I'm half white" Ria declared, carefully getting out of Lily's grasp.

Alice giggled while Marlene groaned from her bed.

"Do you guys mind? I'm actually trying to sleep here" she said crossly.

Ria pulled off her covers and dragged her up.

"Rise and shine" she yelled.

"Urgh!!!" Marlene complained as Alice handed her her toothbrush and Ria gave her a gentle shove towards the bathroom.

Ready at last, they climbed down the portrait hole and walked towards the Great Hall.

The marauders were the next to arrive. James Potter, gave a huge whoop as he shoved himself between Ria and Lily, casually putting his arm around the latter's shoulders.

Lily pushed him down. Ria noticed the blonde head of Peter Pettigrew bobbing in James's direction to help him up.

"Alright Evans?" James unkindly brushed away the helping hand of Peter.

Ria noticed Peter's downcast expression at his casual put down.

He caught her expression and smiled weakly at her. Ria couldn't bring herself to smile back. She was friendly with Peter the year before, but the humiliation they put her through was still fresh in her mind. Looking back, Remus was looking upon the scene in shock and Peter looked a bit guilty, but they were guilty by association with Potter and Black.

The long hair of Sirius Black caught her eye. She looked away, suddenly more interested in her porridge. Unbeknownst to her, the silver blue brooding eyes of Sirius Black never left her face. But the blonde head of Peter Pettigrew had noticed the fascination in the taller boy's face.

Suddenly Sirius seemed to come to his senses. He tripped Peter to hide his obvious discomfort. Everyone laughed as Sirius mocked Peter. As usual he was the pinpoint of jokes. Daria shot him a look of sympathy. He was crimson with embarrassment. He got up, tripping over his own feet and inducing more laughter and sat down beside Remus who seemed to turn a blind eye as usual, rather wishing that he was anywhere else or Daria Patil was still friends with them. She would have stuck up for him.

Peter missed Daria. For the short time during which she was friends with the marauders she had befriended him and treated him like an equal. Not like an additional tag along that came with the smartest and popular students of the year, James and Sirius. Even Remus commanded the respect of the Hogwarts population as he was an excellent student. But he, Peter was not in their league. He was always left out. If only befriending Daria Patil was not some stupid plan of James and Sirius, then he, Peter, would have had someone who listened when he talked, a friend who took him seriously.

Yes, he thought. He must work on that. Daria was a nice person to have around. She'll treat him nicely. He'll have to do something about it. Maybe he could be friendly towards her, that will show Sirius that Peter doesn't always need his permission to do something.

************************************

Remus's pov in third person

" Ooh, back again are we? So did you all enjoy your summer?" Slughorn asked peering good naturedly at them.