Chapter Eight

Tom's pov

Flashback

I had heard of what happened to my housemates when they crossed paths with the Patil girl. I was intrigued.

'What was so different about her?' I thought. As much as I tried to convince myself that she was ordinary, I found her more complex. I checked every book in the library about occulumency, but none of the things I read matched with her.

Maybe she was born that way?
Like people being born as metamorphmaguses?

I walked around the corridor to the library and slammed into someone.

"Uh... I'm so sorry" a girl muttered as she tried to pick up the books that fell out of her hands. I knelt down and started helping her. I had to maintain my image as a gentleman.

"Thank you" she whispered in a voice like bell chimes.

I slowly looked straight into a pair of beautiful eyes. They reminded me of the ocean reef. Perfect greenish blue pools that you could fall into.

What the bloody hell? I was sprouting philosophy about a girl, and that too about a Gryffindor?

"My pleasure, m'lady" I said.

She winced at the salutation I bestowed on her.

Hmm..... Definitely doesn't like attention. I wondered why, doesn't girls love attention? But then.... I wasn't exactly familiar with what girls liked. My mum was dead as soon as I was born and I have never dated anyone.

'' I'll walk you to the library " I offered.

" N-no thanks... I'll just g-go" she said uncertainly.

I couldn't help but frown slightly. 'Most girls would have jumped at the offer'

"It's no problem" I assured her and dragged her off by her elbow before she could reply.

Even in the library, she barely looked at me. She was engrossed in books.

I knew I had to know her better. I had to find out what she hid beneath that glossy locks.

'The slight dark brown tints in it just made it more beautiful' I sighed mentally. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?

"Hmm... I was wondering whether you would like to go to the Christmas ball with me?" I asked before I could comprehend the words that slipped past my lips. Hmm... Now that I thought about it, it seemed like a good idea.

She had frozen. Suddenly blood rushed to her face.

" NO " she snarled. I was taken aback. What happened to her to react like that?

"Why? We could go as friends!" I exclaimed. I wanted to find out what was wrong with her.

"I know people like you ask girls like me to parties and stuff to humiliate us. Stupid, socially inept girl gets an invitation to a party with a really popular guy, she thinks it's her big break and then the joke's on her. Because how can she have the audacity to think that, that someone, someone like him, will ever have an interest in-in her! " she panted out of breath and with tears streaming.

I watched with my jaw dropped. So, her public humiliation with Sirius Black, which I had heard of from Severus when I inquired about her, was still fresh in her mind. Hmm.... I might have to press the point.

"I am not Sirius Black' I started pretending to be offended, 'I happen to treat women with respect and I never had a single detention in my life. So please refrain from comparing me to the arrogant jerks you seem to be so fond of. Anyway, it's hard to think that you are too upset about that incident, considering the fact that you are still hanging out with the likes of him "