7

And so it started to become a regular occurrence. Some times I wouldn't even have dreams. Just panic attacks. Flashes of sad memories, old or recent, would poison my mind and make the tears fall relentlessly. I would crawl into Sirius bed on those nights and fall asleep in his arms.

What surprised me the most was the fact that he never teased or joked around about us sleeping together on those nights. Of course, he teased me or flirted regularly any other occurrence, but on those nights he never did. He was simply following through with a promise. The one he made the night back at Hogwarts in the astronomy tower. The promise that he would always be there for me if I ever needed. Even the other three boys understood as neither of them teased about the nights either. Sometimes I feel so guilty for branding them as immature, obnoxious teenage boys before I ever really knew them. Granted, they can get carried away or seem immature at times but it's so much easier to see the good qualities in them now.

I'm snapped from my thoughts hearing the deafening whistle of the Hogwarts express, pierce through the chatter of students and crying parents. Families bid farewell to the young witches and wizards as they embark on the new school year that lies ahead. I stand near the Potters who are preoccupied by a conversation with James and Sirius. My eyes find a mother and father hugging a little blonde haired first year girl. The mother clutches a handkerchief as the young girl shyly steps on the train, waving to her teary mom who blows air kisses in return.

My eyes focus intently on the mother. Her crows feet crinkle slightly as she smiles through her tears of joy. Pride. I would have given anything for that. Instead the only farewell I received on my first year was a hard shove towards the massive steam engine only to turn back and see my father disappear through the crowd without a word or loving gesture.

I sigh to myself and frown looking down to my shoes. Suddenly I feel warm fingers lace their way into my own.

"We may be orphans, but we're not alone.." Sirius brings my hand to his lips kissing it softly.

I smile feeling my mood lighten.

We turn to face the Potters as James struggles from his mothers grip as she tries to straighten his tie. I giggle watching James roll his eyes, "mother your embarrassing me.." he hisses as he sets his eyes on a particular red headed witch standing a few metres away.

"I just want to make sure you look presentable James!" She tugs his tie one last time.

"Mr. And Mrs. Potter?" I interrupt as they turn their attention to me. "I want to thank you for everything you did for me.. I'm truly grateful and cannot extend my gratitude enough. I hope one day to repay you"

"No worries at all dear.. if you ever need anything, ever, do not be scared to ask. Your family now.." She says, involuntarily straightening a few strands of my blonde hair. Although, I don't pull away the way James had. I savour the moment of a mother's affection. Mr. Potter nods in agreement to his wife.

"Thank you." I smile.

"Oi, Let's go find Moony and Wormtail" James pipes up. "Hopefully one of them has picked a compartment for us"

Mrs. Potter pinches Sirius's cheek lightly before smiling at the three of us as we stalk towards the train.

We step into the train and immediately spot Remus yelling at a few children running about the hallway.

"Hey. Would you-listen-Excuse me I'm head boy!" He spits out as the group of second year children ignore him and run by almost knocking him over. I laugh as he pinches the bridge of his nose and groans.

"Now, now, head boy, don't get your knickers in a twist on the first day" Sirius teases as we follow Remus into a compartment with Peter already sitting in.

"Oh bite me" Remus mutters, breaking of a piece of a chocolate bar from his pocket.

The five of us make ourselves comfortable as the train pushes off from platform 9 3/4. Butterflies fill my insides in anticipation for the new school year..