Chapter 8

Ratchet watched the gathered mechs, a sneer threatening to appear on his silver faceplates. Beside him, Shockwave shifted, just slightly, armor flexing in barely noticeable alarm at the amount of hatred and disgust in the old medic's E.M field. Sensing the 'con's unease, Ratchet sent him an apologetic look before pulling his field close around his frame and directing the slave through the crowd, ignoring the disdainful glances sent the purple mech's way.

When Ratchet had been informed of the 'celebration' the new council would be holding in honor of the day the decepticons were finally defeated he'd held back irritation. But when he was told that he'd been invited and was expected to show up with Shockwave, he could barely contain his fury. Fraggers wanted the decepticons to be there. 'Celebration', his aft. More like gloating.

He spotted the other captive 'con's in the farthest corner of the room, huddled together, desperate for the small comfort their close proximity brought. Without much thought he weaved through the crowd towards them, Shockwave in tow.

As he neared them, Ratchet's spark fell at the pathetic sight displayed before him. All the decepticons were looking worse for wear and that was putting it lightly.

Megatron leaned heavily against the wall, servos crossed slightly too tightly over his chest plates, red optics staring into nothingness. He didn't even twitch as the old medic approached, as if he didn't notice or was just too exhausted to care.

Starscream glared at him as he neared, his sharp claws flexing in their restraints, wings hiking up in a threatening manner, only to press against his back as he shut his optics in pain, hissing throughly tightly clenched dentae. Ratchet frowned at the cuffs still locking the seeker's wings, concern washing through him. Seeker wings were extremely delicate and being locked up in one position could be very painful not to mention dangerous. They could stiffen in that position temporarily if not permanently. He filed away a reminder to talk to Ultra Magnus. He doubted that the large bot kept the cuffs on out of malicious intent, more out of protocol.

Dreadwing gave him a small nod, red optics flashing with anger, before quickly looking away as if afraid that Ratchet would punish him for the blatant show of hostility. Ratchet's jaw clenched at the large dents and scratches littering the navy blue armor. Wheeljack didn't even bother to make the slave presentable. He obviously took pride from it and didn't mind showing how a 'con should 'properly' be treated.

Airachnid hissed at him as he neared, sharp fangs flashing in the dim light, the stumps that were once her spider like limbs rising as her plating flared in fury. Ratchet winced at the sharp lashes of her field against his. Unlike Dreadwing, she wanted Ratchet to see her hate, purple optics promising a painful death. Not to be outdone, Ratchet pulsed a silent warning through his own field and she recoiled instantly, top lip curling over her dentae. The pang of guilt the action caused him was snuffed almost instantly, Airachnid's crimes still fresh in his processor. Though he believed that even she didn't deserve this treatment, some things could not be forgotten or forgiven.

Ratchet's spark broke at the sight of the two mechs huddled in the shadows. Only now did he notice the protective half circle the other 'con's had formed around their two companions, shielding them from sight.

Knock Out was leaning heavily against his bondmate, literally clinging to him for dear life, thin digits curling into the seams of Breakdown's armor. His optics were shut, lubricant trickling down his faceplate as his frame shook uncontrollably, hard enough to make his shoulder pauldrons rattle against each other.

Breakdown had his arms wrapped securely around the small mech, pressing his distressed mate against his large chest. His whole frame seemed to press in and curl around the red medic protectively, his every touch reassuring, loving as he whispered soft comfort into white audials, large servo caressing the smooth silver plating of Knock Out's abdomen and the red plating of his chest plate where a small sparkling grew.

A single, dim yellow optic glanced at Ratchet before returning back to the shaking mech. Breakdown didn't seem to mind his presence and suddenly Ratchet understood just how close the 'con's truly were. Though they showed anger and hostility they let him pass, let him see the two bonded mechs because they knew what he was doing for them, knew and were grateful to him for helping one of their own.

A soft, inquisitive brush of an E.M field drew his attention to the tall, silent mech who had suddenly appeared beside him. Though Soundwave's face remained impassive, his field pulsed gratitude as he silent passed the small disk he'd given Bumblebee into his servos.

Ratchet let a small smile appear on his faceplate as he accepted the object, storing it into his subspace. "You're welcome."

Soundwave nodded, before turning on his heel and walking over to join Megatron who looked up when he sensed the spy's presence. The fact that they were all allowed to gather together spoke volumes of the way the council saw them. If they were allowed to stand together instead of being kept apart, it was obvious that they were no longer seen as a threat. Just another way to make the 'cons feel even more humiliated than they already were.

He left Shockwave with them, sensing that the scientist would like to be left with his brethren before heading off to search for Ultra Magnus. Starscream's wings needed to be released before they got to the point of severe damage.

A flash of yellow armor caught his attention as Bumblebee joined him, doorwings held tense against his back. "You've seen them right?" He spoke lowly, glancing in the direction of the small group. At Ratchet's nod, the scout sighed, doorwings drooping even lower. "This isn't right, Ratchet. It just isn't. They're already humiliated every single day. Wasn't that enough for the council?"

"Apparently not." The old medic stated grimly, optics searching the crowd. He'd seen Smokescreen pass by, laughing merrily at something an attractive lime green femme was telling him. Arcee was conversing with Wheeljack and Bulkhead by the energon dispenser, a cube of high grade clasped firmly in her servos.

Ratchet glanced back in the direction of the huddled decepticons. They were in the same position as the one he'd left them in with the exception that Soundwave and Shockwave were now on either side of the silver warlord.

He found Ultra Magnus by the fountain in the center of the grand room.

The blue bot was reluctant at first, going on and on about protocol and ethics, but Ratchet had dealt with enough slag over the years to win the argument easily. Starscream's wings would be released that evening as soon as he was back at the suite. Satisfied, Ratchet rejoined Bumblebee by the wall, silently accepting the high grade for appearance's sake. There was no way in pit that he was going to drink to this supposed 'victory'.

He watched silently as Optimus stepped out onto the small elevated balcony, blue and red plating gleaming in the soft light. Ratchet's spark fell at the completely foreign look in Optimus's optics. He looked away, unable to look at his former friend any longer. He tuned out the speech that followed, the cheering, optics focused on the huddled frames in the corner.

This was not what he fought for.

As soon as it was over, he didn't stick around, he couldn't bear to spend another click in the presence of these monsters.

Shockwave did not fight him, though there was some reluctance in his movements as he left the group. Ratchet stood back and allowed him to say goodbye in his odd Decepticon fashion before gently guiding him away. Out of the corner of his optic, he noticed how Bumblebee walked over to the group as well, probably as disgusted and eager to leave as he.

The medic could feel Shockwave watching him, the both questioning and understanding brush of his controlled field, but he did not answer the purple 'con's silent question. He'd do that as soon as they were far away from this place.

The rest of Team Prime watched him go, but didn't think much of it. Ratchet had made it very clear that he had been very busy these past few megacycles, he probably had an emergency to tend to. So they let him go, instead focusing on the party around them.