Chapter XXIX

August 21st, 2030, 6:59 am

Some of the other brackets were told to come out to the backyard earlier than we were. When I walked out just now, there were kids already fighting, so I thought I was late. Once I saw Craig and Mai in line behind Sergeant Lee, my fear disappeared for the time being. Until I saw my opponent stepping my way.

Hal's white short-sleeve brushes against mine. Like Leo Fedman yesterday, his lips are sealed, uncharacteristically of him. I haven't heard a word from him since before the first round when he spoke to his first opponent. Whenever we encountered each other throughout the bunk room and mess hall, he turned his head as if he never noticed me.

I sat with CJ at dinner and Hal took his place elsewhere. I mentioned to CJ that my next opponent was acting strangely and unlike himself. As it turns out, this isn't odd at all. Hal is just naturally competitive and whoever stands in his way is going to get shot down no matter who they are. Even if they are a friend. In the words of CJ, I am "his Craig Larsson" now. I can't tell if that is high praise or not.

This is what we avoided from the start. I mean, yeah, there was the possibility that we would face each other if I made it this far. But we never believed that I would arrive at the semifinal anyway. It was better than ever having to take on anyone else, but I don't think that's so true anymore.

I'm about to get manhandled. For crying out loud, Hal van Lester is the future Sergeant of Class 30, and what am I? Average; right in the middle. Not even considered for immediate duty, I assume. I have to fight a potential Emperor's Seal candidate. Mr. Imperial Guard. How can I bring myself to do it?

Hal told me that there was nothing he would do to let his rank fall. The only test he didn't earn the top spot in was the island run yesterday morning, and he's vying for the highest placement in the combat tournament. He'll want to battle Craig to make the victory that much sweeter. His position in this year's class would be solidified as first if he were to beat his rival. He is not going to let me stand in his way from getting that chance, and I don't blame him.

But I have my own reason for wanting to win, and it has nothing to do with social status in this area or bragging rights. It's something far bigger and real than that, and he knows it. It doesn't matter who I am to him or what I'm fighting for. He'll look past it, because all he sees is Craig Larsson at the finish line.

I shouldn't be counting Mai out of this, but I'm sure Craig is in the same position as Hal. They want the epic, final showdown in the championship fight. Craig wants to bring his status back up after pathetic earlier tests, and Hal wants to end the discussion once and for all. I'll be there to watch it all unfold in front of me.

Hal traps his breath beside me as he spectates on the final round occurring currently on the first combat square. That is where our battle will take place. I can feel the gears in his brain cranking, trying to contemplate some kind of bold strategy to take me down when we start. It won't be difficult for him to think of something. I'm not as skilled a fighter as he may believe from my first two victories. Sure, I took down Leo Fedman and creepy Alan O'Shea, but that means nothing. They weren't talented in combat themselves.

A girl shouts in triumph on the square ahead, resulting in a nod from Hal. He just witnessed a fellow victor take her place in the top ninety-two for this test. It's his turn to show where he belongs around here, and I'm the one he's going to use as a trophy. That's the deepest side of him; a side that I would never have guessed was a part of him. He's not acting in the way I know him.

Sergeant Lee scans the four of us as the winner of bracket 20 leaps off of the square to greet her pals. "Larsson, Rea, Tross, van Lester, all here. Larsson and Rea will fight on square two, Tross and van Lester here on square one. The championship will be on one. Move out."