Chapter XXXVIII

August 24th, 2030, 9:32 pm

"Well, things between Levi and James are... strained, to say the least."

I cradle my arms behind my head and slowly reveal my eyes to the light. Footsteps radiate from my left and I turn my attention to the two figures strolling toward the desk. The first, the receptionist with her crammed satchel, and the other, a tall, rugged man. The secretary pilots herself around the counter while the man lingers on the civilian side.

"Levi is never one to forgive, and James has to stop being so damn antagonistic all the time. They seemed to get along so well before this happened." Irene rolls her eyes and plops in the chair she occupied only a half hour ago. "I think Corporal Porter is still back there setting up for tomorrow; I'll give her a call."

As she plugs digits into the phone beside her computer, I press off the arm of the chair and extend my legs. But after taking a glance at the empty space where the bottom half of my body should be, I refuse to advance forward. I hold my arm out to my side to speculate at the glow, yet that marvel is gone, too.

Give it a minute, kid. You're in no rush to get anywhere.

The Captain leans his back against the desk and looks right through me. Nothing changes in the curves of his face. "I don't think Levi is ever going to let James forget what he did."

"Won't you look at that: male drama. And you wonder why Keira and I get along so well." Irene peers up at the Captain before tossing her satchel on the desk. I don't really know who any of these people are, so I can't follow along with their banter. I'll try to piece things together as the conversation goes on.

Brian turns his head to her, suppressing any alteration of expression. "I try to stay out of drama the best that I can."

"You do an awful job of it."

He crosses his arms. "How so?"

"Keira tells me you do." Irene shrugs, not batting an eyelid.

"Of course she does. Does she gossip about us often?"

"Since when does everything have to be about you guys? Are you afraid she's saying mean things about you?"

He raises his arms in defense, swiveling around. "I'm just curious, Irene."

I want you to know that I am not disappointed in the fact that you are now a member of the Imperial Guard.

I stare at those two, having their conversation in their mysterious officer language, going through the motions. I can't blurt anything out without unveiling my cover, so I let Roarke's words echo through the walls of my skull. I want him to leave me alone forever, but he still remains in this invisible M below my elbow.

If anything, it further proves my point that you are special.

If by "special" he means being forced to join the military-police and a murderous cult at the same time, then I would agree with that statement. But there is no extra substance to me that would make me any more remarkable than CJ or Mai, who have dedicated their whole summers to being better than the rest.

Of course, my offer is still on the table. If you are interested, let me know now.

I will never trust this voice in my head. I know that his intentions are ominous if I associate him with the actions of his followers. He is going to use me for the worst of them if he considers me so "special."

This is my final warning. Take it now.

No. Nothing you can do will ever tempt me. Find another teenager to pick on. I am an Imperial Guard now.